Can we get useful energy from a wye motor with a longer B coil?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by osospark, Sep 16, 2015.

1. osospark

Thread Starter New Member

May 25, 2015
    Hello, I'm new to the forum. I am an electrician who is an instructor. Recently our class was re identifying the leads of a dual voltage wye motor. We noticed that in the process of testing the voltage on the windings, we put in 208V on 3 phases and got out 300V on the two phases not under test. My students asked me if the 90 V could be put to use. It seems to act like a buck/boost transformer. Any ideas?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The basic answer is: "yes".
    Of course, the laws of conservation of energy hold true. You can't get more power out than you put in.
    Strange uses for standard things is one of the interesting parts of studying electricity.:)

3. osospark

Thread Starter New Member

May 25, 2015
    My understanding pf a buck boost transformer is that it will burn if too much voltage difference is present. I have already accidentally smoked a 500va by trying to couple two transformers at lower than rated voltage. If we were to put a load on the motor, would there be too much current in the "primary" windings with the "secondary" windings connected to a voltage output?

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    A buck boost transformer has to be rated at the same current as the circuit is is either 'boosting' or 'bucking', and capable of supplying same.
    Max.

5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    @osospark
    Measuring an open circuit voltage is different than being able to drive a load. As soon as you add a load between those two terminals, the motor will become harder to turn and your three driven terminals will draw more current.