Can we discuss the design of transformerless power supplies here?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by stevemcd, Mar 22, 2013.

1. stevemcd

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Is it within the forum rules - or is there anywhere else that can be done?
  2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Given the Terms of Service, no matter how much we may want to, we can't!

I'm sure there are places to discuss them, though not on this site, perhaps over at Electro Tech? Not sure as I am not a member there, though there is a large number of people that have a dual citizenship with AAC and Electro Tech.
  3. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    I think they would rather you experiment on those on your own without any help from someone with experience.
    Either that or it has been decreed as not truly electronic in nature.
  4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Hy tshuck. I am a member over at ETO and I am sure the guys over there would be happy to help you out. I don't recall any rules disallowing the discussion of transformerless power supplies.

So to the OP, I strongly recommend you open an account at ETO and post your questions over there :)

It would be better to experiment with them under the direction of an expert who is not concerned with safety or liability issues. You should never mess with that sort of thing when you don't know what you're doing. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic, so I figured I'd post this response just in case :rolleyes:

5. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    It's because AAC doesn't want to contribute to the creation of any candidates for the yearly Darwin Awards. :D
    tshuck likes this.
  6. stevemcd

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks to all who replied, and I'm glad I checked first. Just to be clear, I'm no novice here, and have the engineering and electronics background, so it's not a naive enquiry. I understand the rationale, so will try elsewhere.

This forum is a fantastic place for seeking and offering help and raising queries. It makes sense to have rules to guide the topics and manage the risks to those who may get themselves into hot water.

Thanks again.
    tshuck and DerStrom8 like this.