Can we discuss the design of transformerless power supplies here?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Given the Terms of Service, no matter how much we may want to, we can't!

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

I'm sure there are places to discuss them, though not on this site, perhaps over at Electro Tech? Not sure as I am not a member there, though there is a large number of people that have a dual citizenship with AAC and Electro Tech.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
I think they would rather you experiment on those on your own without any help from someone with experience.
Either that or it has been decreed as not truly electronic in nature.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'm sure there are places to discuss them, though not on this site, perhaps over at Electro Tech? Not sure as I am not a member there, though there is a large number of people that have a dual citizenship with AAC and Electro Tech.
Hy tshuck. I am a member over at ETO and I am sure the guys over there would be happy to help you out. I don't recall any rules disallowing the discussion of transformerless power supplies.

So to the OP, I strongly recommend you open an account at ETO and post your questions over there :)

I think they would rather you experiment on those on your own without any help from someone with experience.
Either that or it has been decreed as not truly electronic in nature.
It would be better to experiment with them under the direction of an expert who is not concerned with safety or liability issues. You should never mess with that sort of thing when you don't know what you're doing. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic, so I figured I'd post this response just in case :rolleyes:

Regards,
Matt

stevemcd

Joined Mar 8, 2013
Thanks to all who replied, and I'm glad I checked first. Just to be clear, I'm no novice here, and have the engineering and electronics background, so it's not a naive enquiry. I understand the rationale, so will try elsewhere.

This forum is a fantastic place for seeking and offering help and raising queries. It makes sense to have rules to guide the topics and manage the risks to those who may get themselves into hot water.

Thanks again.