can we control the devices from computers via internet

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by vead, Apr 7, 2014.

1. vead

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2011
    hello everyone
    I have question. can we control the devices (tv,mobiles fan, ) from computers or from anywhere from the world via the Internet I just want to turn on/off devices via internet

If possible then how it can be possible ?
    give me some Ideas ?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Yes. Look up the Internet of Things.

3. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
  4. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    can anyone tell me which sensor is used for this circuit

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    What circuit? I see no circuit..

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Its not a sensor..
    Any device can be "internet enabled" via a wifi chip.. serial to wifi.. serial to ethernet, SPI, etc... many micros have tcp/ip/phy/mac built right into them now too...
    Lots of choices..

7. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    What you want will almost like as following:
    1. Computer → USB uC → Bjt → Relay → Target
    2. Computer → Internet → Internet TCP/IP uC → Bjt → Relay → Target
    3. uC → wifi → Computer → Internet → Internet → Computer → wifi → uC → Bjt → Relay → Target

When you get the ideas then you figure out some other ways by yourself.

8. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    thanks for replay , its conform that I can done this project with microcontroller and relay I want to ask extra information
    how can I turn on /off any device like cell phone, tv , online throw my computer ? I mean software
    I think I need software but which software I need

9. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    For a TV on/off control via internet, it was related with the internal control of TV, there are two parts, the first one is the power on/off of TV, and the second is the IR remote control of TV, the remote control only can be control the power of TV, if you want to control the IR remote control of TV via internet, then you should prepare another controller to replace the IR remote control.

For a cell phone remote control via internet, it has a another problem, I'm not sure what kind of the cell phone you want to control, as my smart cell phone, when I want to turn it off, it has a procedure need me to choose with my fingers, if your cell phone doesn't have the function in the original designation that it can be using remote control to turn the cell phone on/off, you will get lost in this part.

10. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    hello I have another idea we can control the any device via Internet .
    so we can make robot that operate via internet

when I will give command It will be go forward , back , move left,
    it will according my instruction I have some question in my mind

Q1 which controller may be used
    8051, PIC, ARM

Q2 how to control robot via internet ?
    I mean I will open web browser like firefox, google chrome then what is next step for me

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  11. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Basically any micro will do. You can use for example ENC28J60 which is an ethernet to spi chip.

The easiest way to control it will be telnet, instead of the web access. It is basically very similar to a serial terminal, just over ethernet.

12. GRNDPNDR

Mar 1, 2012
    I really know very little about this subject but isn't this what X10 products are for?

13. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    I saw the news a several years ago said that Japan has developed the remote control robot via internet.

Q1 - Choosing the uC that you familiar.

Q2 - Computer → Internet → Internet TCP/IP uC + wifi → wifi + Robot → Bjt → Relay → Motors. (or using bjt H-bridge, or Mosfet H-bridge to replace Relay)

Q2 - Computer → Internet → Internet Computer → wifi → wifi + Robot → Bjt → Relay → Motors. (or using bjt H-bridge, or Mosfet H-bridge to replace Relay)

14. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    I didn't understand answer for question 2
    Q2 how to control robot via internet ?
    I mean I will open web browser like firefox, google chrome then what is next step for me

15. GRNDPNDR

Mar 1, 2012
    actually, now that I think of it this is entirely possible.

This guy does something similar, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAcgN3dY3-c

And a long time ago (2002??) there was a guy who had a webpage and you could go to it and see his whole house on camera, listen to him,turn his lights on and off and stuff like that.

16. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    I think you can play two kinds of remote control software first.

I play the vnc before, but I haven't play the TeamViewer yet.

TeamViewer.

Vnc - Computer to computer via internet.

17. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    exactly what do you mean you said ''remote control software'' but I need software that operate robot via Internet

18. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Vead, (and a few others here that seem to have never heard of this somehow)
    A simple Google search will get you HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of tutorials of how to control devices via the internet.. from robots to dish washers.. its been done and is documented all over the place..
    The controls can be a webpage/browser or via an android/iphone app or whatever.. Its getting rare to find any professional electronic device that doesn't have some sort of internet connectivity at this time. Even cars now have apps to remotely start it on a cold morning or close the windows if you forgot and flew to another country..

Why don't you try reading a few of those tutorials on the internet and attempt to learn a bit about it.. youtube also has thousands of videos about this kind of stuff.

It just seems silly to have to start from scratch with you here..

teamviewer is NOT a solution either.. teamviewer is for remotely logging into a computer from a computer..

first link I found http://duino4projects.com/ethernet-switching-with-arduino/
    and let me tell you its so much fun to set up a relay to turn on/off a light in your house when you aren't there and your wife is.. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  19. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    I am just planning So I am collecting information
    I have another question

with the help of web cam we can talk ,we can here we can see via the internet

can we connect robot with webcam so that we can see what is location

20. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    What I described on #13 are the whole procedure to match what you want, if you want to know more, then you should try the software on #16, it needs two computers, you can control another computer via internet from your computer on the desk.