Can time exist without matter?

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
What was before: an egg or a chicken?
What was before: ‘big bang’ or vacuum?
Does big bang exist in vacuum or vice versa ?
What is the Universe Expanding Into?
==..
The majority of input to these debates is at most based on knowledge conceived from documentaries and bed-time stories (Splitinfinity was a beautiful example).

The trail of references you leave behind as footprints is evidence you're very passionate about what you read, but why would a glorified astrophysicist make the dumbest move in their career and post their discoveries to some of the biggest questions known to man on a forum website?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I said (pretty much) that to somebody at one time. I did a (hopefully) helpful page about the fact that all electric water heaters produce the same amount of BTUs per watt-hour for an online selling site, might have been Amazon.com. I don't really remember. The point being that the only way a water heater could be, "more efficient" could only be about the insulation on the tank. Somebody sent me a PM to correct me and I told them they shouldn't be telling an air conditioning contractor, they should be telling Congress or some major university physics departments that they had discovered how to get a higher amount of heat per watt out of a pure resistance heater.:D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The way Darwin sees it is that something that wasn't quite a chicken laid an egg that had a genetic mutation in it, and THAT was the first chicken egg. Therefore the egg was the first representation of a chicken. The egg came first.

I find that easier to expect than the idea that "not quite a chicken" became a chicken in its lifetime and started laying chicken eggs.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I said (pretty much) that to somebody at one time. I did a (hopefully) helpful page about the fact that all electric water heaters produce the same amount of BTUs per watt-hour for an online selling site, might have been Amazon.com. I don't really remember. The point being that the only way a water heater could be, "more efficient" could only be about the insulation on the tank. Somebody sent me a PM to correct me and I told them they shouldn't be telling an air conditioning contractor, they should be telling Congress or some major university physics departments that they had discovered how to get a higher amount of heat per watt out of a pure resistance heater.:D
The good ol' water heater!

I have my own idea how to create one of my own, it's analogous to a superconducting electrical system; but by far no means similar! It involves a bit of metallurgy, yet another idea for the back-burner. If I told you, I would have to kill you :).

Vortex-8

Joined Dec 20, 2013
seriously, I'm going to say no
....and seriously, I don't have the time to write out the full reasoning of why I come to that conclusion

Vortex-8

Joined Dec 20, 2013
Time is experiential........it is related to experience........the flow of time is related to the rate you can experience something........time is based on perception more than a linear measurement.......this is my philosophical understanding and I won't start to defend it if someone disagrees..............but I'll just throw that out there for the sake of it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Now we've come full circle. As in post #4, if a mass is not there to experience time, does time still happen?

socratus

Joined Mar 26, 2012
but why would a glorified astrophysicist make the dumbest move
in their career and post their discoveries to some of the biggest
questions known to man on a forum website?

This question must be answered by a psychologist.
=.
When physicists investigate the quantum physics
then they imagine themselves in Alice's wonderland
=.
* If there’s nothing wrong with me then, maybe,
there’s something wrong with the Universe.*
/ maybe a PhD physicist /

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
@socratus

Thank you for changing the style of your posts. It is good to talk to Socratus, not a load of quotes that go unread.

I find your opinions interesting.

Was quantum physics existed before the arrival of humans?
Quantum Physics is mathematics, which humans invented to try to model the real world. I would say that without humans, there would be no Quantum Physics, but the universe would still work the same way whether we existed or not.

So we have models, and limited understanding.

The universe works in whatever way it works. It does not care if we understand or not.

In my view, we do not understand, but we try our best.

dball387

Joined Sep 15, 2013
Thank you hexreader! :)
I don't think most people ever realise what you have just said.
Newton's laws of motion never caused a planet to orbit a star or a pool ball to go racing across the table: They are only our descriptions of what we observe.
And on a tangent, when Stephen Hawking said 'because there is a law of gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing', he is bordering on the delusionary. ;)
Happy Christmas to all btw,
D

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
This question must be answered by a psychologist.
=.
When physicists investigate the quantum physics
then they imagine themselves in Alice's wonderland
=.
* If there’s nothing wrong with me then, maybe,
there’s something wrong with the Universe.*
/ maybe a PhD physicist /
Socratus, there's no smoke without fire. I don't doubt you, but the level you're wanting to weigh in at consumes a colossal amount of time spent in isolation reading nothing but mathematics. I find it highly unlikely a psychologist would meet this requisite. My bed-time dreams amount to Alice in Wonderland - but:

Interesting as I find this area of physics; I had to face two facts.

#1 I will never be good enough.

#2 A career in engineering will sustain a roof over my head.

If you're willing to make a self-sacrifice then go for it, but you do need to read about the maths in equal amounts.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
If you knew the answer, what would change other than your knowledge set?

If a bear S&$# in the woods does it still stink if nobody is around? I like most of your musings, but this topic is rather esoteric.