Can this work,

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Have researched a little and find that PIC16F1824 could do the job,
if someone could help me getting startet iam a fast learner.
PICAXE is ok, but i can't find an sellers in my area.

Can easy make windows programs, have also learn from nothing, just by google it.
Why did you choose the PIC16F1824? Can you share you selection criteria. Will you be using C, Basic or Assembler.

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
yes, i can't find some who sell PICAXE, and futhermore i think it will be easier to programm a PIC16F. but i do not know.
When some can, then it hould be possible to learn ;)

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Hi.
Have tried to use PICAXE a little, and it seems simple to use.
BUT.
Can't find any PIC with more than 8 output.
7 digits + 4 selcting = 11 .
Inputs is okay, need 5 i think.
1 counting.
1 reset
1 selecting
1 set time. ( hour )
1 set time ( minute)

What to do ?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi.
Have tried to use PICAXE a little, and it seems simple to use.
BUT.
Can't find any PIC with more than 8 output.
7 digits + 4 selcting = 11 .
Inputs is okay, need 5 i think.
1 counting.
1 reset
1 selecting
1 set time. ( hour )
1 set time ( minute)

What to do ?
Drop the PICAXE. For your project PICAXE is not the thing at all. Get a PICKIT 3 programmer. And some PIC with enogh I/O. Say a 20,28 or 40 pins DIL socket

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Yes that bundle is a good deal. The PICKIT 2 do not support newer PICs. But for you it will not matter much. This is the list of devices supported by PICKIT 2 http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en027813 It also support the PIC16F886. Remember that both PIKKIT 2 and 3. Are made for in circuit programming. So the PIC can stay in the circuit all the time. It is some minor design considerations. But they are explained well. All you have to do is to connect 6 wires correct.
I am not a dane. I am from Norway. But Elfa is very big in Scandinavia. And I think in most cases Elfa is better than Elextra

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Okay, i will order that, and if you could help me getting starting a little.
But it will still be possible to program the chip "offsite " meaning out of my design ?
will mount it in a socket.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Okay, i will order that, and if you could help me getting starting a little.
But it will still be possible to program the chip "offsite " meaning out of my design ?
will mount it in a socket.
just ask for help here. No problem in that. You can of course program the chip offsite. But it is best to avoid it. In circuit the chip is better protected against ESD. And I know from my own experience that taking a circuit in and out of the board introduce a lot of wear and tear to the chip and the board. Some cheap IC sockets will start to fail very quickly. As they are not made for many chip in/out cycles
You said you wanted some LCD display. This is on sale https://www.elfaelektronik.dk/elfa3~dk_da/elfa/init.do?item=75-512-37
They still have a few left (6 units) It is good offer

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
That should be very easy to write, something like 200 lines of C code max.
The only thing that is not clear is how you obtaing the measurements of rain, is it some sensor? How does it send the value?
Can you help me getting startet, have tried many things, but do not know how.
Have a PicKit2 and a 16F690

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Can you help me getting startet, have tried many things, but do not know how.
Have a PicKit2 and a 16F690
Is that in the form of the Microchip Mid Range Demo Board?

You need a language, such as C, or BASIC, or assembler.

Assembly is quick, but when you start to need numbers that are over 16 bits, the hand coding of that is hard.

Take a look at MikroC, MikroBASIC (From MikroElectronica), and BoostC from sourceboost.com (sourceboost's BASIC is more like Visual Basic For Windows). Swordfish SE and PICBasic Pro are two popular BASIC language compilers, but the demos are limiting. The C that comes with MPLAB is Hi_Tech/PIC C and doesn't do any optimizations which is a bit of a handicap.

Decide on a language, and start small on your project. Maybe use a Serial LCD (saves 4 pins I/O) and write to it to get started, then work on inputs.