Can someone identify this Briggs-Straton electric motor?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sdowney717, Jun 21, 2015.

1. sdowney717

Thread Starter Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I had to repair the brushes.
    The 2 brushes on the DC - side, their wires pulled out - broke loose of the brushes to make intermittent connection, so motor was stalling and starting constantly while running. I thought at first get new brushes, but impossible, no ID on motor.

So to fix brushes, i cleaned out the hole in the brush where the copper lead goes.
    I took solder wick twice the length needed, bent in middle and placed bent end in the hole.
    I then took Q-tip cotton and rammed small pieces in the hole to wedge the copper braid tight pack in the brush.
    Reused the silicon tubing insulation and attached braid ends to inside lug with solder.
    Anyway, I got a low ohm connection to the brush and the motor works again.

I have an album of pictures here.

The motor powers an anchor line (rope) drum winch with lots of gears. Winch is powered by AC 120v rectified to DC by a full wave bridge rectifier.
    So the motor is DC.
    Other than the brush issue, the motor is in great shape.

2. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Those carbon brushes can take some pretty serious heat without damage so if it was me I would just heat them up with a big soldering gun or small torch and remelt the solder back into them.
  3. sdowney717

Thread Starter Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I have read solder shrinks. On another forum was told soldering into brushes wont last.
    So far it is working ok packed with the cotton.
    Using the braid seems good to me, very flexible, conforms well to the brush hole.

The braid is meant to suck absorb solder. So it is good to have it loose so the brush can easily move. If it gets soldered at the brush it will make a hard spot.
  4. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Why not just replace the brushes? While the OEM type brushes may be obsolete or unobtainable, motor brushes on a whole are not. And this is just one place selling them online. Very few if any company makes their own brushes for their motors, they use an off the shelf design/size.
  5. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Had the brushes fail on a motorcycle starter motor a while back, there was quite a long delivery time on the order so I raided my assorted salvaged brushes tin. Prettymuch used up most of them by the time I successfully filed a set down to fit and actually have the result work properly - but it can be do able.

Funnily enough - the genuine parts are still in my spares box, as I finally got a set of filed brushes to work - and they still are.
    shortbus likes this.
  6. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    Starter motor brushes are very high in copper content, especially series field type due to the very high current.
    Softer high carbon will wear that much faster.
  7. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Merely citing an example of "it can be done".