can someone cross check this.

lava_123

Joined Jun 15, 2013
i need to design an overlapping sequence detector that can detect any of the sequences 100 and 011.
i need someone to cross check my state diagram.
s1, s2, s3, s4, s5 are the states.
please tell me if there are any mistakes. i've attached a picture of it.
thanks a lot for your time. :)

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You need to describe your intended behavior more clearly. What does it mean to "detect" a sequence? There are four common cases -- the received sequence exactly matches the target seqeuence, the received sequence starts with the target sequence, the received sequence ends with the target sequence, or the received sequence merely contains, somewhere, the target sequence.

lava_123

Joined Jun 15, 2013
the sequence should just contain the given sequence. in this case its 011 or 100. it can overlap. so if the input sequence was 01100. then it should detect the sequence twice. because 011 and 100 are present.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That helps, but leaves a big point that needs to be clarified, namely WHEN should the circuit assert the output that the sequence has been found? Only when the present input is the final bit of one of the sequences? Or from the moment one of the sequences is detected until the circuit is reset? I have a feeling you intend the former, but want to make sure. If that's the case, and if you are implementing this as a Mealy machine (which I am not a big fan of), then your state diagram is correct.