can some please check over this simple circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jsharpe87, Sep 5, 2011.

1. jsharpe87

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    i have this project for my sons peddle quad to convert it to a electric quad
    i have done all the labour work to remove peddle's and connecting a 24v electric motor to a chain driven rear axel

now to the electrics. i have a push button switch on the handle bars that i want to use on two circuits (forward and reverse).

the other switch is a two way switch to select what circuit too use (Forward or reverse)

the electric motor only has two wires from is so both circuits will be wired to these leads but one will be in reverse.

i have two 12v batteries that i think if you run parrellel then this creates a 24v battery?mmmmmmm?

does this circuit work or is there any faults?

thanks for looking.
  2. jsharpe87

Sep 5, 2011
    the black lines near the motor are to represent that there is only two wires coming from the motor not 4
  3. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
    I think you meant that hooking up 2 12V batteries in series makes 24V.
    The switch for forward and reverse isn't so bad, but the switch for powering the quad is either on full 24V/full current or off nothing. There is no speed control. An ideal situation would be to have a lever connected to a variable pot that springs back to off if let go of or a hall-effects sensor throttle that essentially does the same. Either throttle configuration will require a PWM controller to vary the Pulse width signal to the motor to create acceleration.
    You wouldn't want to flip a switch to full power and have your son panic and not be able to turn the power off.
  4. mcasale

Jul 18, 2011
    Yes, I agree IONIC. You should have some sort of speed control. Going to full speed could be scary, or the motor could stall. How much current does the DC motor draw at full speed? You may want to consider designing a PWM motor controller, or buy one from numerous motor drive vendors. depending on the current drive, it should be less than $100 (I think).
  5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I'm pretty sure the reversing switch doesen't work, in one position it connects the positive and negative of the battery together (I think).
    Try this instead:
  6. jsharpe87

Sep 5, 2011
    hay thanks man you was right it didnt work and i fried a few bits lol. i deafanatly need the DPDT switch
  7. jsharpe87

Sep 5, 2011
    So would this be correct then and yes i would like the idea of speed control but this was a budget project and may modify at a later date thanks for your help guys it really helped