Can some one direct me to a good resource about motor windings and generator

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I want to start experimenting with generators and motors. Do you know a good website?
Also if any one knows anything offhand about different size wire (big and small) how that makes a difference?
The more copper the marrier right?

PS all about circuits needs a android app or a facebook page

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Good luck finding information on winding wire sizes. It doesn't follow normal ampacity rules is all I could find out. Was going to build a switched reluctance motor, but can't find any hard and fast rules about wire gauges to use. After tearing down several different types of motors to measure diameters of wire it seems every different manufacturer has there own set of rules. If you do find anything written down, please update your thread.

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I'm pretty positive that the size is based off the amount of heat it produces. More heat = bigger core. and more windings = more alternating electrons.
I'm sure there is a forum for this some where out there. Am i right?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I want to start experimenting with generators and motors. Do you know a good website?
There are so many techniques for all the different of motors out there, they are generally constructed with a certain trait in mind, Synchronism, RPM range, Torque, application environment, many traditional uses are moving more towards permanent magnet fields, especially now with the prevalence of strong rare earth magnetic materials, this has the effect of reducing the copper winding's in these motors.
The P.M. field has in many cases also reduced the frame size of motors they are used in.
Max.

Last edited: