Can LEDs in parallel use a single resistor?

alockrem

Joined Dec 31, 2009
Thank you Audioguru. I wasn't completely sure what the outcome would be. I thought there may be a way to set them up that would increase lifespan instead of just wasting the energy.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I really don't think you need a puck buck. They are meant for specialty LEDs, the kind that takes 1 Amp instead of 0.02A.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I spent some time (and money) on ebay prior to finding AAC.com. I ordered the following LEDs, which should be delivered sometime next week.

5mm Flat Top White LED With Wide Angle
Emitted Colour : White
Size: 5mm
Lens Color : Water Clear
Forward Voltage (V) : 3.0~3.2
Forward Current (mA):20
Viewing Angle: 120-140 degree.
Luminous Intensity: 18000mcd

I also purchased 100 resistors (5%, 1/4 watt, 330 ohm)

While looking around on futurlec.com I found 85 different ohm options for the 1/4 watt, 5% resistors. I have no idea what I will need going forward, so I'm tempted to just purchase 50 of each. I assume that would be enough for a while and only cost about $42.50 + shipping (based on .01 each).

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or recommendations. I am not set on purchasing through futurlec.com, but .01 each is a great price.

Thank you again for your help.
Art
The 330Ω will work OK if you use 9VDC. The power supply is the first thing to commit to when designing something like this. You can use 6 D cells to make 9V, but the two extra batteries are to compensate for the resistors. You can also use several 9V in parallel to make it last longer.

If you want to go the 6V power supply route then you will need 150Ω. You could also put two of the 330Ω in parallel, which will work OK.

alockrem

Joined Dec 31, 2009
Thank you. I am expecting to buy more resistors, so if 150 ohm is the proper resistor I don't mind buying them.

I believe I will go the 4 D cells and the 150 ohm resistors. I am already searching for the best way to build up a supply closet (starting with resistors).