Can I use this (i think mosfet) as a voltage regulator?

kavkav

Joined Jan 1, 2013
This part:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/125951/IXYS/IXSK50N60AU1.html

I'm building a 100 Volt DC power supply but I'm not sure what to use as a high voltage regulator and I was thinking I could use the part in the link I have above. I want to minimize voltage cut off as much as possible.

Also as a side question, is it fine if I use the standard values for regulating capacitors? (10 uf at input of regulator, 10 uf & 0.1 uf at output of regulator)

Thanks.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It will work as a series regulating element but you still need additional circuitry with feedback to control the gate voltage to achieve your desired voltage output.

I don't understand what you mean by "I want to minimize voltage cut off as much as possible." :confused:

Edit: The device is not a MOSFET, it is an IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor). It has a high impedance gate for voltage control of the collector-emitter current, similar to a MOSFET, but is slower and has a higher saturation (fully on) voltage than a MOSFET.

Last edited:

kavkav

Joined Jan 1, 2013
It will work as a series regulating element but you still need additional circuitry with feedback to control the gate voltage to achieve your desired voltage output.

I don't understand what you mean by "I want to minimize voltage cut off as much as possible." :confused:

Edit: The device is not a MOSFET, it is an IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor). It has a high impedance gate for voltage control of the collector-emitter current, similar to a MOSFET, but is slower and has a higher saturation (fully on) voltage than a MOSFET.
Thanks for your reply. By voltage cutoff, I was referring to normal low voltage regulators, they cut off the input voltage to a lower smoother voltage. For example after a filter capacitor you could have 20 volts with 2 volt ripple, and when it goes into the voltage regulator, it outputs a clean 12 volts with no ripple. I refer to that as 8 volt cutoff.

You cleared up the mosfet situation for me thanks. But I don't understand the feedback circuitry part. Do you mean, I cannot set it up as I would a normal low voltage regulator? If so, what component can I use that would make the circuitry simpler? I just want an approximate 100 Volt DC output from rectified 120V AC 60hz.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008

You cleared up the mosfet situation for me thanks. But I don't understand the feedback circuitry part. Do you mean, I cannot set it up as I would a normal low voltage regulator? If so, what component can I use that would make the circuitry simpler? I just want an approximate 100 Volt DC output from rectified 120V AC 60hz.
What do you consider a "normal low voltage regulator"?

It you don't need high regulation then you don't need a typical feedback regulator. You could just use the IGBT as a emitter follower and bias the gate with a zener diode. For example biasing the gate with a 1N4763A 91V zener diode will give an output voltage of from about 95V to 98V depending upon the gate threshold characteristics of the particular IGFET you have. The zener should be biased with about 2.8mA of current from the raw DC input voltage.

Is that acceptable?

How much current do you want from the output?

kavkav

Joined Jan 1, 2013
What do you consider a "normal low voltage regulator"?

It you don't need high regulation then you don't need a typical feedback regulator. You could just use the IGBT as a emitter follower and bias the gate with a zener diode. For example biasing the gate with a 1N4763A 91V zener diode will give an output voltage of from about 95V to 98V depending upon the gate threshold characteristics of the particular IGFET you have. The zener should be biased with about 2.8mA of current from the raw DC input voltage.

Is that acceptable?

How much current do you want from the output?
That's perfect, thank you!