Can I use an RJ11 to communicate with my PLC?

Cretin

Joined Dec 13, 2012
HEY ALL, Sorry for the error, title should read RJ12

Hi everyone,

I've been programming my ClickPLC through C#. I have been successful in communicating, turning bits on/off etc, but I think for my purposes I got the master/slave relationship mixed up....

So I want to make my PLC the master, and the ClickPLC as seen below has two RJ12 ports (I use port2 because port1 is locked as a slave port).

So my laptop has an RJ12 input....can i send signals to my laptop from the PLC using an RJ12 cable that connects both devices? If so, any tips on how to get started :) ??

Last edited:

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
What does the laptop say the RJ12 connector is for? Most laptops have an RJ45 for Ethernet that looks like an RJ12 but has 8 connections rather than 6.

The RJ12 on your PLC has serial connections so I would assume that as most normal laptops no longer have serial ports you would need something like an USB to serial cable with an RJ12 joined onto the end.

I see form the PLC datasheet that the manufacturer suupplies software and can sell you a cable as I have described.

Click PLC Programming Cables
If your PC has a USB port, use cable EA-MG-PGM-CBL to connect to the CLICK CPU module port. If your PC has a 9-pin serial communications port, use programming cable D2-DSCBL.
  • EA-MG-PGM-CBL - PC to PLC Programming Cable Assembly for CLICK PLCs (also used for C-more Micro-Graphic Panels)
  • D2-DSCBL - 9-pin serial programming cable for CLICK PLCs
  • USB-RS232 - USB to Serial Adapter Cable connects serial devices to PC applications via a USB port
  • CLICK PLC Cables & Accessories Overview