Can I use a "Pre-FET" switch to drive loads directly?

Beecher

Joined Jun 14, 2009
Fellow Travelers:

My application requires controlling a set of six 12VDC solenoid valves that each pull a 500mA holding current. Logic control is supplied by a PIC microprocessor sending a +5V signal to trigger the valve. No more than two valves are drawing current at the same time.

The current design uses individual IPS1051L low-side power MOSFETs to handle the switching. However, I'd like to eliminate these individual components in a new design to save space and assembly time. My first impression was to use a Darlington array to replace the IPS1051L's, but the beefiest Darlington I can source is 500mA max per channel so I'd be living on the edge.

Instead, I'm considering using a TI TPIC46L series low-side "pre-FET" driver to switch the valves directly (datasheet here: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpic46l01.pdf).

Although TI specs this chip for triggering external FETs it seems to have enough oomph to switch the valves directly. However, I'm skeptical that TI would call this a "pre-FET" driver if it could actually handle the kind of application I'm looking at.

Am I missing something here? Does anybody see a problem with replacing the six IPS1051L's with one of these?

Thanks in advance.
Beecher.

Beecher

Joined Jun 14, 2009
Thanks Sarge.

Missed that one when I was digging around for a higher current Darlington. That should do the trick nicely.

Much obliged.