Can I use a JK Flip Flop as an SR Latch?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by franklinmknight, Feb 16, 2010.

1. franklinmknight

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    So I'm working on a keypad lock that a buddy of mine wanted me to do for him and I designed it so that I could use what materials I had laying around. Once I began working I noticed that I lacked a SR latch. However, I do have a JK flip flop. Would it be possible to substitute? The JK flip flop in question is the MC14027BCP. Thanks in advance.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Sure, just ground J, K, and Clk, and the then use PRE and CLR as the Set and Reset, respectively.

4. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    Keypad lock eh, neato. We had to design something of the sort for an exam along with 8 other problems in 1:15. :D Needless to say, almost nobody succeeded. If given enough time you can build anything, but 1:15 come on now.

5. franklinmknight

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Thanks. I must say this forum is incredibly helpful. Anyways, now that I know that it will work might I get one of you helpful lads to look over this schematic for me? I've yet to test it, so I might as well go ahead and post it so I know I won't be wasting my time. Mind you my schematic rendering skills are not the best. :)

The transistor is just one I chose by the way. The program didn't have the ones I've got lying around.