Can I Use a H bridge to open and close actuator?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ngwpower, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ngwpower

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Have the parts just do not know how to convert 12V from 110V and dumb as a rock with electricity. Not sure what I need to use a H bridge, if one would work. upload_2014-10-2_11-33-3.png

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    You need more than one device there...

A double throw relay (form C) will work just fine with a 12V power supply.. One with a 120VAC coil and then use the contacts to switch polarities
    An H bridge can be used too but its job is NOT to convert voltage and will still require a power supply..

Its a AC/DC adapter that converts AC voltage to DC voltage..
    Commonly called a DC power supply or "wall-wart" or DC adapter,etc..

Then does your actuator have limit switches built in?

3. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Your grey box just puts out 120V when a set of conditions exist, and no voltage when that set of conditions dont exist.

To run the actuator out you need a DC voltage of +- polarity. To run the actuator in you need a DC voltage of the -+ (opposite) polarity. Depending on the actuator, these voltages can be applied either continuously, or not (be timed).
    '
    I recently bought an actuator that looks like the one in your picture, and it has built-in limit switches which allow you to keep applying 12Vdc indefinitely, until the polarity is reversed.

As suggested, a 120Vac coil DPDT (Form C) relay will do the reversing. Here is how to hook it up:

ps: The relay is wired as a "H-Bridge"

212.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    ngwpower likes this.
  4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Have you checked if in fact that there is no alternative to the 120v output? I am assuming the unit is switching the 120vac with a relay? If it is, there may be an option of removing the 120vac and use the internal relay to switch the actuator L.V. DC direct?
    Max.

5. ngwpower

Oct 2, 2014
    Never looked Max I usually don't open electrical products if they are not broke, so will check.
    Thanks RJ

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Appears to be four relays operating four AC outlets, but it should be simple to swap any one of them to switch and voltage or device you what to.
    Max.

7. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Can you post the part number for the dayton relay?

8. ngwpower

Oct 2, 2014
    From Grangers.com site
    Item # 5X838
    Mfr. Model # 5X838NSN
    #5945-01-095-5640
    UNSPSC # 39121515Catalog Page # 352
    Catalog Group # H7996
    Thank You
    RJ

9. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
  10. ngwpower

Oct 2, 2014
    Thank you for the diagram and instructions. Wired it up like you show and can hear the solenoid activate, hear the temperature sensor actuate. The actuator will run in one direction according to which lead is hooked up to 7 and 9; using a 12VDC battery. I dropped the DPDT in my shop, could I have damaged the internal components? Have the worst luck with electrical anything.
    RJ

11. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Connect the two actuator wires directly to the terminals of the 12Vdc power supply; first red to +, and black to -, actuator should run one way and stop. The reverse red and black at the power supply terminals; it should run the other way and stop.

If actuator runs as described above, the problem is in the wiring or the relay...
    If the actuator runs only one way even after swapping the leads at the power supply, then post the data sheet for the actuator, or the power supply is inadequate.

Do you own a Multi-Meter?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  12. ngwpower

Oct 2, 2014
    Apologies for omitting in previous post.
    upload_2014-10-10_12-59-39.png
    upload_2014-10-10_13-0-13.png
    upload_2014-10-10_13-0-31.png
    RJ

13. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    I dont see problem with the relay. The Ohmmeter test looks good.
    I dont see a prob. with the 120V to the relay coil.
    I dont understand the reading at the actuator. There should always be 12Vdc across the actuator; with relay not pulled in, polarity should be one way, with the relay pulled in, the polarity should reverse...

Where did you have the Multimeter leads to measure the actuator voltage? Directly between red and black?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  14. ngwpower

Oct 2, 2014
    "Where did you have the Multimeter leads to measure the actuator voltage? Directly between red and black?" yes.
    How about the gray box? Put the meter on the outlet for thermostat and below set temperature I get power; when I warm up the probe above set temperature I get no power at AC V. Probably wrong but this appears to be why this is not working?
    RJ

15. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Read the first sentence in my post #3 in this forum thread...

btw-these postings are coming from a rented beach house near Hilo, HI...

16. ngwpower

Oct 2, 2014
    Thanks enjoy the island, inlaws live on Kauai, free room and beaches!