Can I use a flyback transformer in a forward topology?

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
hi, I want to ask if there is a way can i use to make flyback transformer in a forward topology?
Sry question is oxymoron:confused: Is either forward transfer or flyback can't have it both ways! If mean to repurpose transformer designed for fb service to forward transfer topology then like HP says close quality spoilers then it works well as just regular ferrite transformer:D

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
hi, I want to ask if there is a way can i use to make flyback transformer in a forward topology?
The big hurdle is the reverse voltage rating of your rectifier - it still has to withstand the flyback peaks, which will probably be even bigger still because you have to increase secondary turns for a worthwhile output voltage.

Once or twice I've *ALSO* rectified the forward voltage to augment the total voltage even by a small amount.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
it still has to withstand the flyback peaks,
It is my impression is that the OP wishes to operate (i.e. excite/drive) the transformer in a forward transfer topology -- in which case there will be no 'flyback' pulses/'free wheeling' currents... That said, acceptable reluctance requires reduction/elimination of the gap{s}...

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
At some level, a transformer is a transformer. With a fuly isolated primary and secondary, the same part can work in either topology. However, it might be very efficient in one and suck in the other.

ak

Last edited: