can i use a 3 terminal power supply to power opamp circuits(dual supply)?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Santa klaus, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Santa klaus

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I have done projects in school mainly using power supplies with more than 6 terminals, so i know how to do a split supply on these PSUs,
    But now i want to invest in a 3 terminal power supply. Do i just connect each pin with the corresponding pin on the opamp? Don't we need two +/- supplies for dual supplies ? I'm confused

2. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    what to you mean by "3 terminal power supply" - you mean "3 terminal voltage regulator"?
    you can use two separate supplies and wire them as a dual supply (required that output is floating).
    you can also make dual supply and regulate both positive and negative rail using one positive and one negative regulator.

3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    If it is 3 terminal regulator you would need two regulators. One for positive (ex: 7812) and one for negative (ex: 7912).

4. Santa klaus

Nov 16, 2014
    thanks for ur replies .I mean a Power supply . with one positive rail, one negative rail and Ground. Do i need two positive rails, two negative rails to supply an opamp ? In other words , can i use an opamp in dual supply configuration with the first picture or do i need the second one? psu.JPG psu2.JPG

5. Veracohr

Jan 3, 2011
  6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    To Power dual power supply OPAMPS u need this one PSU.jpg

7. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    The green terminal is not ground. It is an Earth connection,
    I have the first one and I know
    To power opamps you cannot use the green terminal.
    You need to series connect the two PSU. That way you will get +ve, GND and -ve

But you need to make sure that what you are buying have two isolated PSU's

8. Santa klaus

Nov 16, 2014
    To power opamps you cannot use the green terminal.
    You need to series connect the two PSU. That way you will get +ve, GND and -ve

But you need to make sure that what you are buying have two isolated PSU's[/QUOTE]

great thanks, That answered my question.