Can I use 3rd party charger to charge my batteries?

dp31959

Joined Jun 18, 2012
I would like to know if I can use this 3rd party charger to charge my skil batteries.

My goal is to have a charger that I can just put the batteries in and forget about them until the next time I need them and then grab them out of the charger and have them ready to go.

The problem I have with the manufacture’s charger is that there is no automatic shut off or protection from trying to charge a bad battery. When you charge the battery for to long or try and charge a bad battery the manufacture’s charger burns out the charger’s transformer

I can disassemble the manufacture’s charger for the batteries and easily remove all of the guts. Then could I just wire the ends of the 3rd party charger (Alpha charger) to the ends of the manufacture’s charger?

What do you think? Will this work?
Thanks

The battery is a skil 92940 Flexcharge battery 3.6-Volt 1.0-Amp Hour Nicad.
http://skilcordlessscrewdriver.scre...ery-special-discount-today-and-free-shipping/

The charger is an Alpha Power Battery Charger with the Specs:
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/bc700/index.php
• 3 Easy Steps to Renewable Power
1. Insert battery (batteries)
2. Select Mode: Charge,Discharge/charge,Refresh/charge, Test/charge
3. Select Rate: 200mAh,500mAh, or 700mAh
• Works with all NiCd & NiMH AA/AAA Rechargeable Batteries
• Automatically switches to trickle charge when charging is complete to ensure maximum battery capacity
• Automatically defaults to 200mA charge (the optimal setting for prolonging battery life)
• Overheat detection to protect over-charging
• Charges AA & AAA rechargeable batteries simultaneously
• Will not charge defective batteries
• Select different charging current for each channel
• Charges Battery Types: AA/AAA NiCd and NiMH
• Input Voltage for AC/DC Adapter: 100-240 VAC (works only with included AC/DC Adapter)
• Charging Current Range: 200 mAh, 500mAh, or 700mAh
• Max Charging Capacity: 3000 mAh
• When charging is complete, LCD shows capacity in mAh for each battery

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Big problem: Nobody in his right mind would endorse an off-brand product without tearing it apart and knowing every part inside it and everything it does.

Next problem: That charger will not charge a 3.6 volt battery. It's for AAA and AA batteries only.

Next customer.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I would like to know if I can use this 3rd party charger to charge my skil batteries.

My goal is to have a charger that I can just put the batteries in and forget about them until the next time I need them and then grab them out of the charger and have them ready to go.

The battery is a skil 92940 Flexcharge battery 3.6-Volt 1.0-Amp Hour Nicad.
For a Nicad, you can just use a constant trickle charger at about c/10 which is 100 mA in ths case. You don't need a complicated charger.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
For a Nicad, you can just use a constant trickle charger at about c/10 which is 100 mA in ths case. You don't need a complicated charger.
All true, but I think the OP would prefer a set-it-and-forget-it solution, a smart charger. If he has the luxury of not needing a fast bulk charge followed by a smart switch to trickle, then a constant trickle charger would be a great solution. Better for the batteries, actually.