can i turn the lenovo 3000 j series into a gaming pc?

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
So I picked up my this old PC and anyway I will link you to the specs here http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo...0-plus-2ghz-512mb-ram-160gb-hdd-xp-pro/specs/ this is like the one i have, same CPU but i have 4 gigs of ram and a 400 watt PSU that supports 6 pin GPU. I am not going to get a crazy powerful GPU for it put i would like a quad core CPU and a 2-4 GB GPU. And i tried to get linux to work but it did not so i called up the guy at the computer store i talked to him about the problem he thinks it is a windows only PC

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Are you sure it has an AMD processor?
Then It should be one of the 7000 series.
There are also 3000 j versions (the 8000 series) with Pentium processors in them.
It will be hard to find a better CPU with the Socket754 for the PC.
Wich linux did you try on the PC?
I have used OpenSuse on several PC's without a problem.

Bertus

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
And i tried to get linux to work but it did not so i called up the guy at the computer store i talked to him about the problem he thinks it is a windows only PC
That guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

At best it could be a mediocre gaming system.

IIRC, you're a teenager without a lot of money. Don't get hooked on games or expensive gaming hardware. IMO, you should forget about games and spend your time doing something more useful.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi

Most PC games today rely on at least a hi performance graphics card and most, if not all, require a PCI-E interface slot
That, in turn, requires a decent power supply. If it doesn't support that, then I wouldn't use it for gaming.

After looking at the specs, I suggest you forget about using that for gaming....

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Hello,

There are also 3000 j versions (the 8000 series) with Pentium processors in them.

Bertus
i know for a fact it has a amd athalon x2 i took off the cpu cooler and thermal paste

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
That guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

At best it could be a mediocre gaming system.

IIRC, you're a teenager without a lot of money. Don't get hooked on games or expensive gaming hardware. IMO, you should forget about games and spend your time doing something more useful.
STOP core 2 duos and old amd proccesers can still give some good performance for a budget system even tho they are old does not mean they can't KICK @SS

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Hi

Most PC games today rely on at least a hi performance graphics card and most, if not all, require a PCI-E interface slot
That, in turn, requires a decent power supply. If it doesn't support that, then I wouldn't use it for gaming.

After looking at the specs, I suggest you forget about using that for gaming....
i already have a 400 watt power supply with 6 pin gpu connecter

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Hello,

Bertus
i tried ubuntu 16 and my socket is am2

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Hello,

The PC must be at least 8 years old.
Here I found a message on the lenovo forums about installing linux:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...Lenovo-3000-J-Series-Model-7387A34/td-p/56241
The thread is started on 10-04-2008 04:21 PM
The problems back then where with the NVIDIA card.
Nowerdays there are compatible drivers with almost every linux distribution.
The open source driver for nvidia cards is called nouveau:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouveau_(software) ok thanks

Bertus

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Your gonna need a higher wattage power supply, depending on the GPU.
But I still think you should just buy an gaming system.
1. He can not afford a gaming system.

2. In my limited experience! A lot of gaming systems that are advertised as such are either:
a. Have really high end components are cost A LOT
b. Have average components and are overpriced (and don't get me started on the stupid 100-200 USD cases that they use to cover the fact that they are selling you average components, but want top dollar for them)

3. The real problem is that OP is starting with crap components. Like someone said, Core 2 cpu was better than whatever AMD had at the time. So the logical thing is to look for a system that has Core 2 cpu and comes with the above average or even a gamer motherboard. CPU+mobo are the key, the foundation that you build on, everything else is added to that key combination. OP does not get to choose what is given to them. That is where advice comes in: save your money and buy something better, don't spend what little money you do have on stuff that was not great even back when it was new.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
1. He can not afford a gaming system.

2. In my limited experience! A lot of gaming systems that are advertised as such are either:
a. Have really high end components are cost A LOT
b. Have average components and are overpriced (and don't get me started on the stupid 100-200 USD cases that they use to cover the fact that they are selling you average components, but want top dollar for them)

3. The real problem is that OP is starting with crap components. Like someone said, Core 2 cpu was better than whatever AMD had at the time. So the logical thing is to look for a system that has Core 2 cpu and comes with the above average or even a gamer motherboard. CPU+mobo are the key, the foundation that you build on, everything else is added to that key combination. OP does not get to choose what is given to them. That is where advice comes in: save your money and buy something better, don't spend what little money you do have on stuff that was not great even back when it was new.
Hi

I've been gaming a long time and have built a few gaming systems. In general, I agree with what you've stated, but I would rather steer the OP away from using that crappy system because it will only provide a poor gaming experience and will be more expensive in the end. The OP is better off buying a newer system or newer set of components.

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Hi

I've been gaming a long time and have built a few gaming systems. In general, I agree with what you've stated, but I would rather steer the OP away from using that crappy system because it will only provide a poor gaming experience and will be more expensive in the end. The OP is better off buying a newer system or newer set of components.
but they cost so much i can get a reasonable quad core for this thing

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Your gonna need a higher wattage power supply, depending on the GPU.
But I still think you should just buy an gaming system.
Im not going to get a top of the line GPU I will get a GPU like a 650ti something extremely budget but not bad for price like a used $80 card will satisfy me

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
but I would rather steer the OP away from using that crappy system because it will only provide a poor gaming experience and will be more expensive in the end. The OP is better off buying a newer system or newer set of components.
OP does not accept either advice.

They get stuff for free, but there reason the stuff is free is because it was sort of crap back when it was new. Back when it was new it worked fine so people were using it.

Here is the thing about gaming systems. We, the people, played games on them, we have emotional attachment to them... I would not give away my gaming system for free, I don't care how old it is.
Im not going to get a top of the line GPU I will get a GPU like a 650ti something extremely budget but not bad for price like a used $80 card will satisfy me
650 is almost gone, I would not pay 80 for a used one. 750 is the current thing on the used market, 60 to 80 USD. 950 is the current retail, might be able to find used one for 80 but I would not plan on it.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Looking at the manual, the 7387 version of the lenovo 3000 j will accept an Athlon64 4200+ at most:
lenovo_3000_j_fru.jpg

I doubt this will bring you the speed for gaming.

Bertus

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
heh...there is an old saying...you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.:D

OK.....so what the OP will really end up with is a refurbished lenovo, not a gaming system.:rolleyes: