Can I solder SMD with these tools?

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
When I use flux I use a flux pen which just puts a small amount just where I need it. I got several off EBay from China, takes a few weeks but the price is nice.

Tweezers are more of an issue then you may think. I need very fine tips for some parts, wide tips for larger parts like ICs. They need to stay very clean and non magnetic or the parts stick to them (very frustrating!).
yeah, specially when parts have a little bit of glue left on them, I'm gonna by some if I find anything good

also, I couldn't find flux pen, so I Proskit 8S005 (which says solder paste on it, but its flux!)
I also got a flux paste which is in something like a syringe, I also printed my PCB on the copper board which was easier than i thought! but my problem is now cutting the copper :S

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
In case anyone was interested :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7bw2nuzsslcio4/20151113_125758.jpg?dl=0

not bad for first time soldering :D it was easier than i thought! but i printed the pth holes on the same side :| so i had a hard time soldering those!

the led does turn on and according to my multimeter my ISP is connected to my attiny the correct way, but i haven't tested it yet, last night i accidentally poured dirt and water over my arduino, now it says out of sink but i can upload examples and it works!
but the etching was a nightmare, I destroyed a little bit of out kitchen :(
thanks all :)

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Why don't you just post the picture here?;) Going to another website just to view a picture is unnecessary and for some people with limited bandwidth, annoying. So they wont even check it out.

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
Why don't you just post the picture here?;) Going to another website just to view a picture is unnecessary and for some people with limited bandwidth, annoying. So they wont even check it out.
:eek: sorry, didn't notice the upload button, I was checking the top :) BTW, I had to put programming header on the board, no idea how to program a SMD without soldering! also I was planning on changing the code frequently!

kam_hagh_board.jpg

Moderators note: reduced size and cropped image.

Last edited by a moderator:

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
IT doesn't work :( my multi meter reads 0.0Ohms (not open loop) to each of my ISP wires connected to arduino (MOSI - MISO - SCK - RESET - GND) and my led does turn on. but when i try to program it, my programmer just doesn't respond when i connect it(ArduinoISP) maybe i shouldn't connect my reset to VCC with a 10k!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
That's easy enough to check reset-put your DVM on the reset pin and see if the voltage is high enough.

(some text removed for clarity)

...last night i accidentally poured dirt and water over my arduino, now it says out of sink but i can upload examples and it works!
What did you mean by "out of sink"? And while asking questions (just curious) what are you using for a programmer?

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
That's easy enough to check reset-put your DVM on the reset pin and see if the voltage is high enough.
Damn it, i can't type :) i only notice after someone tells me! I meant sync not sink! I don't know why i make that kind of mistake! And it was just my wire's fault, it works now! Works on all AVR (even my dip attiny) but not my board, and that 10k should be connected to vcc, no idea what's wrong: ( maybe i burned the chip with so much heat?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi, I thought I should start making my own circuits and build some stuff instead of using a breadboard, but the problem is I don't have much money and resources, can I do SMD soldering with these? (is it worth it?)

the solder paste i found was from a brand called mechanic, that's all i know! I'm planning on keeping it in the fridge inside a glass container inside a plastic bag!

the flux was unknown

but the the only air station i found was this : GORDAK 952, is this a decent one? I'm worried it will die after few uses!
I have a cheap 4$ iron which lights up my LEDs when soldering! and that doesn't sound good for smd! or even normal soldering
I also added some 1206 components to my order

I'll be printing my circuits with a laser printer and some acid! never done it before!
Do i need anything else?

Sorry if this question is stupid :|
jubee3.jpg jubee2.jpg Jubee 1.jpg
Here is my young apprentice, Jubilee Mountainflower ("High Quality Eskimo") performing SMD soldering without even a magnifying glass! She doesn't even use the "slop n sop" method, but solders each pin individually. She learned this in about three hours....took me 40 years before I could do SMD. :)

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

Attachments

Last edited:

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
Last edited: