Can I scrap anything from these items?

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
I've got some electronic stuff that are messed up and I was curious if I can scrap anything off them.

40" samsumg hdtv, bad screen
I've already taken the speakers and wiring that it had. Can I do anything useful with the boards?

Old microwave, I mean old, like early 90's old...

A UPS with a bad battery.

Or should I just dump this stuff?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Thakid87,
You've "hijacked" the original thread, which is considered rather rude.

Your post will be moved to it's own topic.

The Samsung TV may have interesting components in it; particularly inductors and the driver transistors. There may also be a large toroidal ferrite in the power supply area. Be cautious of capacitors, they may still have a charge on them.

The old microwave may have a large transformer that could be useful. The display may be interesting to experiment with. The microwave emitter (possibly a magnetron) would be quite dangerous to hook up.

The battery in the UPS could be replaced so the UPS could be put back into use.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As SgtWookie already said, you just hijacked an existing thread.
Your subject is rather diffrent from the originating thread.
Now you have your own thread wich will draw its own attention.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you are in electronics as a hobby they can be a gold mine. If not they are junk.

Ham's have several saying that apply.

Today's technology is tomorrow's junk.

One mans junk is another's treasure.

When I was a young teen my dad decided to retire an old color TV, its display was well rounded. It kept me and my brother in electronics components for over a year.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Or you could simply keep the boards in storage and unsolder the components when you need them in the future. Your room might begin to appear like mine, eventually. :)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Thats what I do, I keep all the boards and de-solder components as I need them.... and it does tend to make your work space look like an episode of hoarders :)

B. Morse

oidium45

Joined Apr 24, 2010
The ups should have some great heatsinks and some good components. The magnatron in the microwave will have some pretty strong magets!