Can I run a 120V/60hz UPS on a Step-Down Transformer?

CharlesRGoodman

Joined Jun 27, 2009
I've been digging on the web for about an hour now and can't find anything directly on point. I hope someone here can help.

Is it possible to run a 120V/60hz UPS off a step-down transformer? The UPS I'm looking at is a CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD. Here's the link:

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pr...D.html?selectedTabId=overview&imageI=#tab-box

My concern is that the frequency will still be at 50hz. I believe 50hz usually isn't an issue for electronics, but I don't know specifically about a UPS.

I guess I could buy a 220V UPS and run the transformer off it to power my electronics, but the prices are higher and I'd like to be able to bring the UPS back to the US with me when I return.

Any help/info is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Charles

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hi, Welcome to the forum.
Since the UPS is rated at 90VAC to 140VAC U have to use a step down TX from 220V to any value between that. As for the frequency the UPS may use switch mode power supply or Transformer, but I have never came across a SMPS one since the transformer is used for charging the battery, but sometimes they may use two separate transformers. One for charging and one for the inverter. I am not sure about the frequency concern since I have not practically dealt with a 60Hz one in a 50Hz supply.
All we have is 50Hz.
But I do not think frequency can be an issue since overall DC is used through out the UPS and the inverter's running frequency is sampled from the input supply. But sometimes AC is also used at some stages other than the inverter and input.
I cannot tell u anything about this particular ups since I do not have seen the internal cicuitry of it, other wise I could tell you for sure.
All I can say is to test it in a 60Hz supply, the worst case may be it shutting down due to it operating outside it's rated input.
Still I have seen UPS with input frequancy swiching that can be set either 50 or 60Hz via dip switches. U have to see it's back side or the manual.

I suggest you go and see it's manual or talk to the supplier, or wait for another member who have dealt with those UPS.

Rifaa

CharlesRGoodman

Joined Jun 27, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I plan on calling the manufacturer tomorrow, but was hoping I might get a "...of course it's OK" reply here :) and be able to order it before the weekend was over. I'm leaving soon and getting worried about shipping times.

Thanks again

Charles