Can I rewire 80s Roland RS-09 synth from 100v to 240v?

Mr. We

Joined May 14, 2013
Hi guys,

So i'm looking at buying the aforementioned synth from Japan, and i'm wondering if anyone can tell whether it'd be possible to rewire it to 240v to work in Australia? Or would I need a transformer?

Schematics can be found here: http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Roland/RS-09_V1_SERVICE_NOTES.pdf on page 2.

I'm handy with a soldering iron but don't have the understanding to know whether this is possible, but I'd really appreciate any help as I am very keen to buy this synth! If it is possible, any tips on how to do so would be wonderful!

Cheers,

Mr.We

Mr. We

Joined May 14, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping on avoiding a step down converter as it adds extra weight and cost. I'd be using it for gigs so one less box to carry around would be great.

I've had other appliances (such as a mic preamp) that I simply rewired one part of the power circuit which changed it from 100v to 240v, is this kind of design unlikely to exist in synths like this? I have spare Australian powercords I could use for this synth, but if I have to get a step down transformer than so be it!

Thanks for your help.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
http://www.tortech.com.au/stepdown.html
I think the 50 watt model from here will be more than enough, or any other 50 watt for that matter. You need to replace the transformer inside the synth. If you can dig up a transformer made for 240 from the same type of synth. That could also work.

Last edited:

Mr. We

Joined May 14, 2013
Great, so you mean replace the transformer inside the synth only if I can dig up a transformer from the same type of synth, not also if I used a step down since that just plugs into the current power cable right? As for finding another transformer, would it have to be from the same make and model or could I potentially use the transformer from any old synth/keyboard as long as its a 50 watt 240v transformer?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Just so it is none what so ever confusion. In your case the least painful way is to use a 240 to 110 volt step down transformer. And it your case make sure it is transformer based. Looking at your datasheet. your synth use 15 watt so anything rated higher than 15 watt will do just fine.
Then it comes to replacing the transformer inside the synth. Yes I am almost sure it can be done. If you can find one from the exact same model synth rated for 220 volt. One idea is to contact Roland and hear what they say. From what I can see from the service manual. The power board is the same but with different transformers for different mains voltages. Reading your last post I would highly recommend the step down solution. As this would be plug and play. Any other solution would be plug and pray:D

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Some electronics like synths and other musical instruments, had multi-tap transformers in them. You just needed to change the input wire from one tap to another when mains voltage was changed. So you might want to look inside the synth before buying a new transformer.

I know it doesn't show this on the schematics, but the schematics aren't always kept up to date with changes. It's worth a look inside.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Some electronics like synths and other musical instruments, had multi-tap transformers in them. You just needed to change the input wire from one tap to another when mains voltage was changed. So you might want to look inside the synth before buying a new transformer.

I know it doesn't show this on the schematics, but the schematics aren't always kept up to date with changes. It's worth a look inside.
The transformers do not have same order number. So the 110 and 220 volt version uses diferent transformers

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The transformers do not have same order number. So the 110 and 220 volt version uses diferent transformers
At the time the schematics were drawn, I agree. But this is most times a "running" change in production. Logistically it makes something that is sold in many markets less expensive to make by having one multi-tap transformer, then having many separate transformers for each market.

The schematics on the other hand would only be updated for major changes to a circuit.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
A transformer shop can rewind the primary on your original transformer from 100v to 240v. It might cost you $60-$100 but will keep the classic instrument reasonably "stock" compared to trying to shoehorn a different transformer in there.

MHWood

Joined Nov 9, 2016
Hello, have you solved that problem since 2013? I would also be very interested to know if the transformer in the Roland RS series is multitapped and can be easily converted to 240v, or if I should find a NOS Roland transformer...

Mod edit: Re-animating a thread is discouraged but since this question directly relates to the original thread, it will be allowed.

Last edited by a moderator: