Can I PWM this VLDO Regulator?

philipm

Joined Jun 27, 2012
I'm looking at this datasheet for a Linear LT3021 500mA, Low Voltage, Very Low Dropout Linear Regulator.

I'd like to be able to PWM the SHDN, but I don't know what I should be looking for in the datasheet to let me know if this is possible or not. It will be supplying somewhere between 350 and 500mA in operation (if that makes any difference).

Appreciate the help.

TheComet

Joined Mar 11, 2013
May I ask, what do you hope to achieve by doing that? Perhaps there's a more efficient solution. Also, what frequency?

I've never PWM'd a SHDN pin before, so I can't say what exactly will happen.

TheComet

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The only thing I see is: Page 8, transient response ~= 25usec.
I think that means that if you try to go faster than 40KHz the output will be constantly in an overshoot recovering condition.
So, modulate a lot slower than 40KHz.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'm looking at this datasheet for a Linear LT3021 500mA, Low Voltage, Very Low Dropout Linear Regulator.

I'd like to be able to PWM the SHDN, but I don't know what I should be looking for in the datasheet to let me know if this is possible or not. It will be supplying somewhere between 350 and 500mA in operation (if that makes any difference).

Appreciate the help.
That never works on a linear reg.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Well, obviously it can be shutdown and not shut down. I think the only thing left to discover is the speed limit. If you do that, please report back here and let us know.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That looks like the speed limit is 250 Hz.

Thanks, Ron. Completely answers the OP. (Apparently the simulator knows things that are not on the datasheet.)

philipm

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Many thanks for the replies. I'm looking for a way to efficiently drive a single high power led (350-700mA and 2.1V drop) from a single LiPo cell (3.0-4.2V). I really need to be able to have different brightness levels (current control would be more efficient, but PWM is also ok).

I came across the attached way to use the LT3021. I was surprised by the very low 0.2V ADJ value so wanted to explore it further. Upon reflection, it may not be efficient enough (0.2V 'lost' through R and >160mV lost through dropout overhead) which is about 80%. There would be further losses through converting the LiPo voltage down to 2.3V (or massive losses if the LiPo was fed as VIN).

Is there a way to do it with >90% efficiency?

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
80% of what?

ps, this is a completely different question. Maybe time to start a new thread:
Want >90% efficiency from 1 LiPo to (1) 700ma LED, Adjustable

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You can probably apply PWM at the ADJ pin, which should have very fast transient response.

I've tried making SMPS from linear regulators before with some success, although only suitable for curiosity type experiemnts.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
30Hz to 60Hz is fast enough to switch visible light and make it appear to be continuously on, and that is achievable with this chip. The question now is, what is .36 volts 80% of that causes a question about efficiency.

.36 volts is 80% of .45 volts, but how did .45 volts get in here?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Many thanks for the replies. I'm looking for a way to efficiently drive a single high power led (350-700mA and 2.1V drop) from a single LiPo cell (3.0-4.2V). I really need to be able to have different brightness levels (current control would be more efficient, but PWM is also ok).

I came across the attached way to use the LT3021. I was surprised by the very low 0.2V ADJ value so wanted to explore it further. Upon reflection, it may not be efficient enough (0.2V 'lost' through R and >160mV lost through dropout overhead) which is about 80%. There would be further losses through converting the LiPo voltage down to 2.3V (or massive losses if the LiPo was fed as VIN).

Is there a way to do it with >90% efficiency?
LM2731 set up as constant current sink will come pretty close.