can I PWM pulse the 12v side of a DC>AC inverter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by s900t8v, Apr 15, 2013.

1. s900t8v

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Hi guys

just wondering if I can PWM pulse the 12v side of a 12v inverter to get the device the inverter is powering to switch on and off, or would that just cook the inverter in no time.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Please elaborate. Your request doesn't make sense.

What inverter are you talking about? 12V in or out?
  3. s900t8v

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I have a 240v pump running off a 12v inverter (12v battery) and I was wondering if pwm pulsing the inverter (on and off?) would kill the inverter

I don't even know if my understanding of pwm is correct haha am I right in undertanding that a pwm pulse turns something on/off ?
  4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Basically a PWM signal turns something on and off, but generally at a high enough rate such that what is sensed is the average value of the signal. So if you pulse something to 12V for 3ms and 0V for 1ms and then repeat, the thing that it is being applied to responds more-or-less as though 9V was being applied continuously. But the frequency has to be at a rate that is fast enough such that the device it is being applied to can't respond to the individual pulses but rather to just the averaged value.

So let's start from scratch. You have a 240V pump and what is it you want to do with it? Don't just say "turn it on and turn it off", what time scales are you talking about?