Can I power my entire home load with a battery setup for 1-2 hour stints?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Some people in some places can indeed justify a solar installation, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I even own stock in SunEdison! But most people in most places cannot justify it on purely economic grounds. (Of course there are other reasons.)

You may like to read about the great German debacle with solar power. I don't know if you can access Quora without joining, but Ryan Carlyle's analysis of the mess there is an epic lesson.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Getting back to the OP's original query. Besides the near impossibility of designing and building a successful one off of a "Power Company Replacement Module" based on batteries. I completely neglected to consider the need to recharge the batteries every 15 minutes or so. I guess if anybody knows of a 2000 Ah, SLA battery; now might be a good time to speak up.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I guess if anybody knows of a 2000 Ah, SLA battery; now might be a good time to speak up.
Running your whole house on batteries would require a massive battery back. I know of people who use 48vdc SLA forklift packs using 2 volt cells for off-grid homes in the wilderness here to store solar energy where the grid connection cost could be 10-15 thousand or simply not available. You can get 2000Ah packs but most are FLA and require maintenance.

http://www.sbsbattery.com/PDFs/SBSBattery-VRLA-Tubular-Gel-VRZ-Series.pdf

If you do have grid power selling excess power back and banking it with the utility for later use with net-metering is almost always better than using local storage when all cost are calculated.
http://www.seia.org/policy/distributed-solar/net-metering

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Getting back to the OP's original query. Besides the near impossibility of designing and building a successful one off of a "Power Company Replacement Module" based on batteries. I completely neglected to consider the need to recharge the batteries every 15 minutes or so. I guess if anybody knows of a 2000 Ah, SLA battery; now might be a good time to speak up.
I am not sure where you are getting your 15 minute recharge intervals time from. There are countless commercial grade UPS systems that could easily fit the application the OP needs that can handle loads like his for hours at a time.

A quick online search for 5 KVA UPS units gave me loads of them in good used condition for around $500. From there the OP would just need to build a battery bank that matches the input voltage and run times he wants. ;)

I am really not seeing this concept he wants as being the least bit unreasonable to work with or pay for.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I am really not seeing this concept he wants as being the least bit unreasonable to work with or pay for.
So you believe the OP can make money by storing grid power to batteries and then selling the power back at times of peak load? All this without the relevant experience (assumed since he is here asking, no offense intended) or a clearly specified incentive? Not where I'd invest my money. ;)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Where does the OP say he wants to make money from this exactly?

I see no mention of going grid tie in order to sell power back to the utility during peak rate time.

What I am getting is he wants to be able to buy his power at off peak rate prices then use that power during peak rate times so as to not get billed for peak rate utility power usage.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This is driven by a desire to benefit from a situation where the distribution company will reward taking load off at peak time, rather than my desire to get off the grid...
I assumed his word "benefit" implied an economic benefit. What other "reward" would be offered by the company?

He may not be selling to the grid but he is "selling" the power to himself and the aggregated customers.

My only point was that it will be very challenging to do this economically.