can I let BFY50 oscillate?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by michaeljdixon, Oct 8, 2010.

1. michaeljdixon

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Hi guys
    In a simple thermal control circuit, I have the output from LM339 to switch my heater on or off. Goes through 2k to the base of the BFY50, with 5k pull up to 5V, and 1k pull down to 0v. The heater is a 47 ohm resistor and it controls a treat with the collector voltage oscillating between 1-2.5 V every couple of seconds, ie never hard one way or the other. It doesn't get hot. Can anyone tell me, is it ok to use it this way or will it go pop in time? (I've always thought of trannies as switches)
    Thanks in advance
    Mike

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Can you post a schematic?

The BFY50 is a RF medium power switching transistor.

Bertus

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Should be just fine. If it's not hot, it should last "forever". Not sure you need a pull down resistor - the LM339 does the pulling down.

4. michaeljdixon

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    thank you. The pull down is there to reduce the hysteresis; without it, and even with no +ve feedback around the LM, the switching band is about 10C. The pull down reduces this to about 2C, which is just what I want.
    Mike

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I always though of them as...

Nevermind. ;)

OK. How long has the IC been oscillating when you have checked is temperature?

I would check it over time to see if it is ramping.

You may come back in 10 hours and find a scorch mark where there was once a BFY50.

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You might want to use something like the circuit Roman Black used for his OCXO heater instead. It keeps the temperature very constant. No need for a comparator.

Link:
    http://www.romanblack.com/xoven.htm