Can I connect two micro controllers and program it?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by listedunlisted, Jun 17, 2010.

1. listedunlisted

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I have a PIC 2 PLUS Demo board. I am using C language and embedding it on the microcontroller. Now I have a AL5A robotic arm. The robotic arm has servo motors that need to be connected to the servo-motor-controllers on the SSC-32 micro controller board provided by Lynx Motions.

Can I connect the two boards together using a Male-to-male serial adapter and send the code from the computer to the PIC 2 Plus Demo board to the SSC-32 micro controller board?

2. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    At the same time? I don't think so, but I don't know the details of your programming interface.

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Sure, you can do whatever you would like.

Use the first PIC to do the communications with the PC, then send any information that is relevant to the second PIC to it via a communications protocol that is native to those chips. I2C or CAN or USB or ETHERNET, even use a 2 wire serial, or bit-bang it.

4. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    reteched I think the poster is talking about a stock interface, not a modified one.

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Ahh. I see now.

Well, still. There are just wires in there.

So you can still use that cable, and decide WHAT to send down it.

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    The PIC 2 PLUS Demo board has a RS232 serial port. Serial communication can sometimes be tricky. Then it comes to the cable. Check the pin configuration on each end. So you are sure your cable will work. The standard then it comes to RS232 connectors, is no standard at all