Can I connect speakers to an mp3 player?

epic_newb

Joined Apr 10, 2011
Hey guys,

Well I was at the thrift store today and I saw these two big speakers for about 3 dollars. I was wondering, is there any way I would be able to connect the speakers straight to my mp3 player and create a sound system of sorts?

The speakers didn't look like they were self powered, they only had black and red wires sticking out. I have no idea how a sound system works, can anyone help me out?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Then you would need a basic stereo amplifier to go with the speakers. It would be a good home brew project. Pick a wattage, and start looking for basic designs. One of our better members (though he can be crusty sometimes) can't resist a good audio project.

It could be an excellent learning opportunity, not to mention bragging rights.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yes you can connect bill......but you won't hear a thing.

Like Bill said. Buy the Speaker and start an Amplifier project.

@Bill...Crusty member?? are u referring to whom I am thinking?

epic_newb

Joined Apr 10, 2011
Ok, I will start getting materials tomorrow won't be able to get started till then but ill keep you guys posted

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You must determine how loud you want the speakers to play and you must guess at how much power will blow them up.

Specs for speakers and amplifiers are a bunch of exaggerated lies.

I had some RadioShack Minimus 7 speakers rated at 40W each. I fed them with my 70W per channel amplifier but never turned it up to full blast and the speakers lasted for many years.
Then one woofer burned out. It was stamped, "5W Korea". Maybe 10W continuously would burn it out.

My computer speakers have 3" drivers with big magnets and are fed with 3.5W each. 1m in front of me they can play very loudly.

Jotto

Joined Apr 1, 2011
Mine has been rebuilding 2 Citation II amps by Harman Kardon. I modified the Citation I preamp to handle digital input so I could hook up my DVD player and use it for songs.

Has been a great project, I rebuilt the entire PS section. Since I have two I decided to mono block them. Changed it from 60 watts per channel to 120 watts and only one channel per amp now. Running some Snell speakers, an was going to build some watt puppies, but Katrina kinda took all the parts I had purchased for them.

An yes your speakers will determine the power requirements for the amp.

epic_newb

Joined Apr 10, 2011
Wow congratz, jotto sounds like a fun project.

Yeah, turns out I can't pick up the speakers till tomorrow but I will check out the specs and make a guess :p

I just want to hook three of them up in my room, doesn't have to be too loud.