Can I connect 2 transformers to the same mains outlet

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It depends what the ratings are for your outlet and transformers. The transformers must not draw more current than the maximum the outlet can safely provide.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yes you can... just make sure to verify with a voltmeter that the polarity of each transformer is as shown in your figure.

iinself

Joined Jan 18, 2013
Also, you can add transformers in parallel in case you need more current
I am bit confused - isn't the way I have added them in parallel? Do you mean the secondaries can be connected in parallel? In the figure above the secondaries on are series, right?

iinself

Joined Jan 18, 2013
Ok, thanks.

One more question, can I add 2 primaries in series with ratings of 110/40V and 110/12.5 to reduce the voltage coming out of the 110/40V transformer? I will be using only the output from the 40V secondary.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I am bit confused - isn't the way I have added them in parallel? Do you mean the secondaries can be connected in parallel? In the figure above the secondaries on are series, right?
Yes, in your figure the secondaries are in series. AND if you need more current, you can add parallel transformers to that array. Under the condition that they're identical and phased right, as has been already stated.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ok, thanks.

One more question, can I add 2 primaries in series with ratings of 110/40V and 110/12.5 to reduce the voltage coming out of the 110/40V transformer? I will be using only the output from the 40V secondary.
What's the output voltage that you'd like to obtain ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Your diagram shows the DC in series, if you connect the secondaries (AC) in parallel or series , you will have to phase them correctly.
Not necessary when connecting series or parallel on the DC side.
Max.

iinself

Joined Jan 18, 2013
Your diagram shows the DC in series, if you connect the secondaries (AC) in parallel or series , you will have to phase them correctly.
Not necessary when connecting series or parallel on the DC side.
Max.
Would this eliminate the need for 2 rectifiers, since the secondaries are center tapped, I could create a virtual ground on the dc side.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You will need to series up one half of one secondary and wire it in series with the other 12.5 to get close to the 28vdc.
Wire them up in SERIES and measure the voltage, if less that 12.5v, swap one pair, then connect to a Bridge rectifier and the caps.
It should result in around 26-28v.
Presuming you want a single supply?
Max.

iinself

Joined Jan 18, 2013
You will need to series up one half of one secondary and wire it in series with the other 12.5 to get close to the 28vdc.
Wire them up in SERIES and measure the voltage, if less that 12.5v, swap one pair, then connect to a Bridge rectifier and the caps.
It should result in around 26-28v.
Presuming you want a single supply?
Max.
The primaries are in parallel and the secondaries are in series but we use only half of one secondary.

So we get 12.5V + 6.25V = 18.75V ac.

DC = 18.75 * 1.41 = 26.5V

In this case does it matter if the transformers are not identical?

Thanks