Can I change the rotation of this electric motor?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
A bit off topic here, but...do you really need 3/4 HP?
I mean, what drill can survive that kind of power dissipated in its cutting edge?
Depends on what you are drilling. I do a lot of heavy metal drilling work and my 3/4 Hp drill press has a very difficult time with it.

Put a 1 1/2" or larger hole saw on it and its miserably slow going running at its lowest speed and still way underpowered at that.

So yes some of us can more than justify a 3/4 hp or larger (I'm looking at t 2 hp next) drill press in their shop. ;)

OGRE

Joined May 31, 2013
A bit off topic here, but...do you really need 3/4 HP?
I mean, what drill can survive that kind of power dissipated in its cutting edge?
My drill press is 1/3 HP and you can buy 1/2 HP all day for $64 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTON-5K25...026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c7f9d1f2
I have a 1/2 bench top but it just doesn't have enough power when using larger bits. The larger press I paid $95 for it off (CL). It had a new 1/2 motor on it that the previous owner retro fitted to the mounting bracket. I found the 3/4 motor also off (CL) for $65. Didn't even think twice about its rotation obviously when I bought it. The guy I got it from is going through his many motors to see if he can find a CW 3/4 for me. He has lots of motors lying around his shop.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I think if my drill press motor were to fail, I would try a high end DC T.M. motor on it, the KB/Baldor controllers can be had quite reasonable on ebay.
Maybe get away without belt change.
Max.

OGRE

Joined May 31, 2013
Thanks to all for helping me with this one. I'll just have to find another use for this motor and its CCW rotation. I think i'll just upgrade to a 1hp or even a 1.5hp motor for my drill press instead.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I can't object after what I've learned in this conversation.
I put a 5 HP motor on my table saw because it was obvious what I needed. I just couldn't imagine a whole horsepower for a drill press because my needs don't go there.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Just remember, the higher the HP, the farther it can throw the part, or the deeper the cut in the hand. :) Especially with sheet or thin metal, and I've got the scars to prove it:)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a 1/3hp drill press, it is 195 RPM on the lowest speed, this is equal to 2.4 HP at the spindle.
Max.

Last edited: