Can i ask for noload current of a transformer

ireallyneedhelp123

Joined Jan 5, 2017
for a noload current of a transformer i can say that , is zero if there is no load being connected ? or isit about 5% of the input current ?

and for non ideal transformer the current from the source depends on the noload current and the amount of current drawn by the load ?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The magnetizing current typically is about 5% of the full-load current, but it is mostly inductive reactive current so the power loss from that is less than for a resistive load of that current.

The total primary load current would be the phasor combination of the load current and the magnetizing current.

ireallyneedhelp123

Joined Jan 5, 2017
1)So given the option to just choose either zero if there is no load being connected or is about 5% of the input current? which will you choose ?

2) And for non ideal transformer the current from the source depends on the noload current and the amount of current drawn by the load ? will this statement be true or most likely false ?

ireallyneedhelp123

Joined Jan 5, 2017
nono i just want to know whether my answer is correct or not so just checking only haha but to me under noload condition i can simply treat it as zero since the 5% can be neligible ? while for my second question i think the source do depend on no load current and also the load current