Can get electrocuted while using laptop(while charging) ?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Noober, May 26, 2016.

  1. Noober

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 26, 2016
    2
    0
    I heard 2 cases of people getting electrocuted while using laptop on charging.
    So, I was wondering that if we use laptop on charging at a place where grounding system is OK and the charger which is being used is also original. Then also we can get electrocuted?

    ANSWERS ARE APPRECIATED BUT I SUGGEST NOT TO ANSWER IF YOU ARE NOT SURE.
     
  2. #12

    Expert

    Nov 30, 2010
    16,343
    6,828
    "I heard" isn't much with which to form a conclusion.
    I heard that laptop chargers have to pass UL certification.
    I heard that nobody ever died from less than 20 volts.

    What do you have besides, "I heard"?
     
  3. takao21203

    Distinguished Member

    Apr 28, 2012
    3,577
    463
    Yes you can often get a tingle from appliances if you touch a sink with the other hand or are barefoot on concrete floor.

    It's just stupid.

    All what's between you and the live grid is a tiny ceramic disc you should check the appliance label for certification, and do tests with isolation meter every year. Or call a service company to check all your appliances.
    And take care they don't just put stickers on every plug....
     
  4. #12

    Expert

    Nov 30, 2010
    16,343
    6,828
    Maybe part of the problem here is with the definition of a word. "Electrocuted" means, "dead".
    "Felt a tingle" is very different from, "dead".
    That is not how laptop chargers are made.
     
    shortbus likes this.
  5. Papabravo

    Expert

    Feb 24, 2006
    10,163
    1,797
    Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
    Inigo Montoya: What's that?
    Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.
     
  6. #12

    Expert

    Nov 30, 2010
    16,343
    6,828
    Mandy Patinkin?
     
  7. Papabravo

    Expert

    Feb 24, 2006
    10,163
    1,797
    Miracle Max was played by Billy Crystal
    Inigo Montoya was played by Mandy Patinkin
     
    #12 likes this.
  8. #12

    Expert

    Nov 30, 2010
    16,343
    6,828
    Thanks. I thought I heard Patinkin's voice in there somewhere.:p

    I just kind of happened across that movie and watched about 5 minutes of it, but the dialog is so distinctive!
     
  9. ErnieM

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 24, 2011
    7,394
    1,607
    Inconceivable !
     
  10. #12

    Expert

    Nov 30, 2010
    16,343
    6,828
    What's inconceivable? Distinctive dialog or getting killed by a lappy charger?
     
  11. DickCappels

    Moderator

    Aug 21, 2008
    2,662
    633
    As usual, #12 is correct, A proper laptop charger these would not use a ceramic disk, it would use a metalized film capacitor for the function of a Y capacitor so it could automatically clear a short if it were to meet safety agency requirements, nearly anywhere in the world.

    Be aware that some chargers are made that do not meet the relevant agency requirements yet still have the (unauthorized) logo and of these chargers some have killed people. Usually a contributing factor are bare feet on concrete or tile floors, or water being involved.

    Be sure the charger you use bears the appropriate safety mark for your region and was made by a reputable manufacturer and is not counterfeit. Even in the case of reputable manufacturers of equipment that was properly found to meet relevant safety criteria human error can creep in or component suppliers (e.g. transformer or capacitor manufacturers) may cut corners by unauthroised changes to save money. This happens more often outside the U.S. and Europe than other places.

    Of note:
    Boy, 7, dies in game console accident
    Thai man dies after alleged electrocution from charging iPhone 4S
    Girl, 14, electrocuted after trying to charge her phone while in the bath
     
  12. Noober

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 26, 2016
    2
    0
    By I heard, I meant I am 100% sure. Besides that I don't have any information about the chargers or the laptops, sorry.
     
  13. ErnieM

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 24, 2011
    7,394
    1,607
    Had you watched all of "A Princess Bride," which I strongly advise everyone to do as it should be on the list of ten movies to take to a deserted island...

    Vinzzini has a habit of overstatement and deems many things to be "inconceivable." Eventually after one such outburst Inigo (played by Patinkin) observes "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you thing it means."

    One of my favorite quotes, I was hoping I could set that exchange up.

    As far as getting a deadly shock, that can happen anywhere. There is a case in NYC where a woman and her dog died when the dog took a piss on a grating
     
  14. joeyd999

    AAC Fanatic!

    Jun 6, 2011
    2,692
    2,756
    It's in my top five.
     
  15. ErnieM

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 24, 2011
    7,394
    1,607
    As you wish.
     
Loading...