Can crusher

bkhood1991

Joined Feb 9, 2016
Crushing a can every 5 seconds that case I would really only need a 35 rpm motor right ? Then why such a big motor? Or do I need the torque just slow the rpm down? If so how would you take a 900rpm motor and make it a 35 rpm motor ?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Crushing a can every 5 seconds that case I would really only need a 35 rpm motor right ? Then why such a big motor? Or do I need the torque just slow the rpm down? If so how would you take a 900rpm motor and make it a 35 rpm motor ?
With a 30:1 reduction gearbox.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Crushing a can every 5 seconds that case I would really only need a 35 rpm motor right ?
Do you think 60 divided by 5 equals 35? :confused:o_O

See post 6 and think about it for a while.

I already did all the basic math for you based on a 30 RPM 6 inch stroke configuration. :rolleyes:

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Drop them off while you drive by on your way somewhere else, and don't forget to collect the rest of the neighbourhoods scrap. Free ride, good deed done.

I installed one of the first auto shredders in western Canada for the old Stelco, which ran three electric arc furnaces, reducing 100% scrap into rolled structural steel. Someone forgot to consider gas tanks until a fireball engulfed the mill, operations tower, and blew out all the explosion vents on the extractors. That installation had magnetic head rolls in a sweep conveyor, where the steel would fall downward into railcars while the non ferrous would travel farther into 'scrap' cars, sold to another business.
Yeap - Those nasty gas tanks have been a problem ever since car shredders were invented back in the 1950s.

The original car shredder was invented in 1955 by Proler Steel & Supply of Houston and a well kept secret until they could get a patent. Then Scott Alton Newell came up with some major improvements and his design became the industry standard.

I've always been an aficionado of car shredders ever since I saw one of them in operation on TV in L.A. The idea that a machine existed that could literally grind up a whole car was pretty bizarre and I thought the TV report was some kind of a sci-fi prank. However I looked in the yellow pages under scrap metal recyclers and there was an ad for a company called Clean Steel Inc. The ad posted "We Buy Autos For Scrap". "We Sell Shredded Steel".

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I don't think this guy has any clue what he is doing nor what he wants let alone has the basic understandings of how to calculate and factor in the mechanics to fabricate any device of any sort.

If a person has access to enough cans to justify the use of an automated can crusher they certainly don't want to have to wait 5 seconds for each can to be smashed. What they want is a high speed systems that can smash 5+ cans a second which ultimately leads to the common two counter rotating tire squisher systems like seen on You Tube.

As far as the recycling company is concerned they don't care what shape the cans are in smashed end to end or sideways or not at all. They pay by the pound not the volume. I have a buddy who gets cans from his local bars by the thousands every week or two and he has yet to ever bother with crushing a single one.