Can CAT-5 be used for wire wrap?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by parkerea, Oct 16, 2011.

1. parkerea

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2011
    SUMMARY:

Can CAT-5 cable be stripped and wrapped around a standard wire wrap post?

BACKGROUND:

I will be building a small wire wrap project (~10 ICs) that needs to connect to a bunch of RJ-45 jacks (~20). I have a simple 30 AWG "hand turn" manual wire wrap tool. I would like to wire directly from the wire wrap sockets to the RJ-45 jacks, stripping & straightening one end of some CAT-5 for the wire wrap side, and punch down the other end of the CAT-5 for the RJ-45 side.

I see there are 24 gauge wire wrap tools. Can I wire wrap with straightened CAT-5? This is a personal project; it does not need to be MIL-Spec or anything fancy.

Thank you in advance,
    parkerea

2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Yes, but use the regular 30 gauge for all interconnects that don't require a punchdown on the other end and consider soldering over the 24 gauge wrap since it's not plated. Remember that the CAT-5 runs from the RJ-45 connectors rely on their twist to maintain their speed rating.

3. upand_at_them

May 15, 2010
    I think the answer is no. Wire wrap wire is thin for a reason...It needs to be very flexible to wrap around the post and bite into it.

You can solder it, as suggested, but that's not wire wrapping.

Here's the physics of wire wrapping: http://www.tessco.com/yts/resourcecenter/pdfs/wirewrap.pdf

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yes it will work just fine assuming is solid and not stranded wire.

5. parkerea

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Thank you all for your input. I will part with about $85 to buy a 24 gauge wire wrap tool. (Odd, when I got into electronics back in the 70's, I was a poor college student, and I swear all this stuff was a lot more affordable...)

Thanks again,
    parkerea