Can anyone tell me what this cable assy is for?

IT_Guru

Joined Nov 20, 2008
I picked up an 8' 2.5mil plug to 9-pin (Serial) connector cable assy hoping to add the necessary diodes and resistors to use it to connect my TI-83 Graphic Calculator to my LT. For anyone else that wants these simple schems and SW - contact me

Anyway, when I popped open the shell, I found a surprise. Soldered to the 9 serial-end pins was a small double-sided PBC populated with 3 SMD Transistors, 5 resistors and 5 diodes on one side. I'll send the macro set of pics to anyone that wants them as I could not figure out how to attach them here.

This device looks to me like it might be 'special' - Heck... to me anything with parts soldered on is 'special'.. so I'd rather not trash it. I'll get another cable assy to modify, but in the meantime I'd really like to know what this is and does.

Any help or insight appreciated.

Alberto

Joined Nov 7, 2008
Very likely is a level translator.
What is hard to say is : a (3.3V to RS232 translator) or a (TTL to RS232 translator) ?

Alberto

IT_Guru

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Thanks guys... I'd post jpeg if I knew how. For now, it'll just sit in my 'Honey DO' box and I'll press on with the new box-stock-normal cable I got for the TI83.