Can anyone tell me if the Panasonic RA-6600 contains a internal fuse? Please & Thank you

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Greg P., Oct 5, 2014.

1. Greg P.

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 5, 2014
    I have a RA-6600 that looks mint. I picked it up last night at auction. It fails to power on. I noticed that the speaker fuses had been wrapped in aluminium foil after I purchased it, did not like seeing that. Just checking to see if perhaps there is a internal fuse that I can try replacing. Other than that I would probably have a electronics repair shop look at it and fix it. I really haft to wonder if there is not a internal fuse if something did not get burnt out by overloading the speaker outputs. Any help is kindly appreciated!

2. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    Open it up and look for fuses.They are going to be on PSU board generally close to the transformer.

3. Greg P.

Oct 5, 2014
    I opened it up and tried to really look in there real good. I did not see any. I saw what I take is the power transformer, reminds me of a DC power transformer (looks big and heavy) and saw no fuses in prox. to that. I am inclined to think no, Panasonic did not incorperate a internal fuse into their design. I was hoping to open it, find a fuse blown, replace it and be up and running. I don't think it is going to be that cut and dry though. Perhaps that transformer is out? I really wonder if the power supplies in most home stereo's are DC by the looks of them? I do really want to thank you for trying to help me out with this!!! Greg

4. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    Do you have a multimeter?And can you take picture from top?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Power transformers almost never commit suicide. You'd be a lot more likely to find the problem if you bought a schematic and started measuring around the power amplifier chip(s). Those are the parts that usually go bad because of the heat fluctuations they go through delivering power to the speakers.

6. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    It could have a bad capacitor some where wouldn't surprise me since its from the 70's and el. Caps are first to go.

7. Greg P.

Oct 5, 2014
    I appreciate all the help. On this I have enough things going on right now that I cannot get a lot of time in it. Esp. given I could put a lot of time in it and still not get it going. I was just hoping for the simple and straight forward. This I think I will just send the repair mans way and hopefully the cost does not approach or exceed the value of it repaired. I need to find a good repairman locally anyhow. I am going to explain that I will need someone on a ongoing basis for vintage electronics I pick up, clean up and list on ebay or just keep. Hopefully they would cut me a little better deal given I can throw repeat business their way. I always try and do as much as I possibly can because that is what I do and it saves money. Things like clean the units like nobody's business inside and out, clean switches with suction, forced air and good electronics cleaners, fix the things I see, touch up, stain and polyurethane cabinets, polish plastics, replace bulbs, add LED strips or bulbs or whatever. Sometimes I get neat vintage units, the more all-in-ones with radio, phono, 8-track, and cassette and mount a small cd player to it and a small amp with meter lights that also has usb, sd card and ipod/mp3 playability. Plus given the mini amp also has a digital radio contained within it and is on remote it does add remote functions to those older units. I also like to integrate a reasonable size powered sub woofer. It just makes for a nice sounding, versatal unit that plays pretty much any media you want to play. Once again thank you for everyone who took the time and effort to throw a response my way!

8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I couldn't find a free copy, but it looks like you could buy the service manual here.

Check this thread, too.

9. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Not sure what you mean by a DC power transformer.
    As far as I know, a transformer requires AC to function properly. Usually the big and heavy power transformers are all AC transformers.
    Unless you mean a DC power supply. All stereo equipment use a DC power supply somewhere which usually incorporates an AC transformer.