Can anyone identify this component?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ChandlerW, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ChandlerW

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I have a horizontal saw made in Germany. There is a component that I thought was a rectifier and might be. Its the blue square in the middle /bottom of the picture.
    Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Google selenium rectifier.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  3. ChandlerW

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks for the info. Test it by measuring A/C in and D/C out right?

4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  5. Lundwall_Paul

Oct 18, 2011
    Selenium rectifier I havn't seen on of these in years. What is it in?

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    They are quite commonly found in battery chargers.

7. ChandlerW

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2011
    This particular one is in a large horizontal saw. I was thinking it was manufactured in the 80's but it might be a lot older. No supporting documentation is available from the manufacturer and I am trying to troubleshoot some wiring.

8. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Also used in Free Wheeling Diode Applications and useful for AC (non-polar) and DC (polar) applications. Selenium is considered a hazardous substance however and makers have to gather all their scrap and store it in barrels for later disposal (?) somewhere.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations]

9. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Everything is considered a hazardous substance these days.

Except of course all the nasty chemical preservatives etc that are in every food item in
    the supermarket that people eat all day long.

10. dataman19

Dec 26, 2009
    Its just a selenium bridge rectifier... Just replace it with a Bridge rectifier. If you know the working voltage, just use a device 2X working voltage. If you don't know the working voltage use a 200V Bridge. I would vote for a 35-Amp bridge (error on the side of caution/plenty), at least until I knew what the actual current draw was.
    But then again, the 35-Amp bridge may or may not be sufficient. The 200-Volts may also be wrong, but it may just get you up and running long enough to assertain the actual values you will need.
    Even the selenium rectifiers had the AC Voltage and (+) and (-) DC pins labeled.
    Sometimes you have to make educated guesses - if really worried, put a 100-watt light bulb in series with the AC Power Leads for the power supply. At least that will give you a buffer to help keep all the valuable electo smoke inside the device. Musn't let the electro smoke out - things don;'t work without the electro smoke being contained within.....
    Dave
    Phoenix, AZ

11. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    That selenium rectifier is only a few amps.

You could replace it with a typical 1000v 15A or 25A bridge (about $6) and be sure the modern part is many times better than the original ever was.

12. ChandlerW

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I'll change it. In the meantime I'm trying to get the saw to function as a saw. I really need a thread on this beast. Not sure where to put it though.
    I have had a couple of local guys come out and look at it, and there has been a thread on another forum but so far no one has been able to solve the puzzle.
    Must be the German technology that is so confusing.