Can anyone identify this component?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Teddy2Tummy, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Teddy2Tummy

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Two copper leads to a glass enclosure 1/4 " x 1 1/4 ". Inside one lead goes to the long side of an inverted "J" 1/4" x and the other lead adjacent and touching the the other. It comes from a simple 12 V. power supply, one transformer and one diode bridge rectifier and itself. Is it a neon tube or a limiting switch? It has the markings " ECG 202 P312 2HAV " on the glass. I am interested in finding it's specifications. Thank you

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Can you post a photo of it?

Neon bulbs generally have a breakdown voltage somewhere in the vicinity of around 55v (give or take) and are pretty low-current. If forced to carry a lot of current, they will burn out in a hurry.

Sylvania became ECG, and ECG was bought out by NTE Inc.
    I regard NTE Inc. as a "vulture" electronics distributor, charging enormously inflated prices for obsolete components. They have a cross-reference that naturally only goes one way; to their part numbers. Their prices range from the exorbitant to absurd.

Teddy2Tummy likes this.
  3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Reed switch?

Teddy2Tummy likes this.
  4. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Self resetting thermal circuit breaker??

Teddy2Tummy likes this.
  5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    If there is a coil underneath, or very near by, a reed switch is a fair guess. Reed switches are not known for current carrying capability; if subjected to more than 100mA or so, they will burn out in a hurry.

Self-resetting thermal circuit breaker is a better bet.

I'm thinking more like a one-time-use fuse. These are frequently soldered to cheap supply boards.

Teddy2Tummy likes this.
  6. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    We joke about NTE that eventually, they will get down to one part number that will replace anything! :confused:
    Ever notice how any one of THEIR part numbers can replace up to 20 or more standard manufacturer numbers?

Teddy2Tummy likes this.