Can anyone help me with this circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by rseabrease, Mar 29, 2011.

1. rseabrease

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I suffer from Tinnitus (ringing in my ears) and I am trying to build a circuit that has the following features. It is battery powered, has adjustable frequency between 1500 to 3000 Hz, has adjustable phase, has adjustable volume, capable of working with some type of headset. I will need to build two identical units because the frequencies are different in each ear.

Thank you!
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    I also suffer from Tinnitus.

What do you hope to accomplish by this circuit? You wouldn't be able to keep the external oscillator perfectly synchronized with the ringing in your ears; there is no feedback to do so. My tinnitus frequencies change ever so slightly; it would require constant adjustment to keep it anywhere near "in tune" with the sound I hear.
  3. ifixit

Nov 20, 2008
    Hi rseabrease,

I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. There are multiple frequencies with variable cadences. A device like that sure wouldn't work for me. I have discovered the best way to deal with it is to learn how to ignore it.

If you still would like to build one, help is available here.

4. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    It is a common problem - I suffer too, and although mine is fairly low level at present, it is quite disturbing in a quiet environment, and for me some source of background noise is helpful. Arguments have gone on for a long time about the effectiveness of "masking" devices for tinnitus. It appears that some people find maskers helpful, but others do not. There are various theories about this: possibly some of the benefit may be psychological. Probably the only way to find out which category you fall into is to try it.

As far as I know, most masking systems do not attempt to obtain a close match between the tone of the tinnitus and that of the masking sound - typically something more like random noise or the sound of running water is employed. These things are available commercially from various sources, including organisations for the hard of hearing and hearing aid suppliers. That might be the best way to go, if your budget allows it.

The next best bet might be something like a mp3 player - some organisations offer tracks for tinnitus masking. Here is an example:

If you are going to try to make something for yourself, beware of the danger of exposing yourself to excessive noise: remember that you are likely to be using the device for extended periods. As well as risking (further?) hearing loss, you might even end up making your tinnitus worse.
  5. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    If indeed you find that something on the order of "white noise" [ google ]aids in the reduction of tinnitus, please post your news..........until then, I have found that ignorance is truly bliss............:D 'cuz sometimes it fairly screams:(