Can anyone decode this ac motor's wire colors?

benrst

Joined Apr 18, 2011
I have a salvaged 120vac motor that came from some kind of ventilation unit, maybe a range hood. It appears to be multi-speed. The motor is about 3"x3" The Chinese mfr. does not get any hits when I search. The spec plate does not say much: Thermally protected, Class A, A032WG, 16/U, 3, D. There is a 2.5mfd capacitor: red wire connected to yel wire going to motor and black wire connected to black wire going to motor. The remaining color motor wires are blue, red, white and gray. Resistances are as follows:

red/blue: 114 ohms
red/white: 69 ohms
blue/white: 45 ohms

Can anyone decipher how to wire the AC and for what speeds? Thanks.

benrst

Joined Apr 18, 2011
I tested again, with the same results as my original post.

I rounded off all readings to the nearest whole number:

No other combinations gives a meaningful resistance, unless you find 100s of megohms to be meaningful: white/gray, blue/gray and red/gray all show .8 on the 200 megohm scale.

However, there appears to be a capacitance reading for these same colors:

red/gray: 6 mfd
blue/gray: 4 mfd
white/gray: 5 mfd

Out of curiosity, I retested the original combinations for capacitance:

red/blue: 15 mfd
red/white: 26 mfd
blue/white: 41 mfd

Don't know if any of this helps. Thanks.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Here are the motor photos for those of you who don't use Word.

Although the OP didn't indicate that the motor was malfunctioning (and maybe it's not), if it is, a potential problem area is the thermal protector. If it has opened, then the resistance readings would be misleading.

Attachments

Last edited:

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Can you measure you measure any resistance between any of these wires to any of the other two?

benrst

Joined Apr 18, 2011
I think I have solved the mystery.

No other wire combinations suggested above gives a meaninguful reading.

However, it occurred to me that I could simply try testing the motor, but rather than connect the full 120vac, for safety reasons maybe I could connect a low voltage source to see if the motor shaft will turn.

I assumed that the wires with resistance would be the ones to try. I tried a conventional transformer with a 30v out winding and the motor turned using the blue/red, blue/white and red/white combinations.

Now in order to see if the motor is of any use, I need to determine which combination produces low, med. high speed, if that is the difference and whether the torque is enough to be worth the trouble or keeping it at all.

Thanks for your help.

Ali Baba

Joined Apr 24, 2011
this is a single phase induction motor
the red-white 69 ohms is the start winding
the blue-white 45 ohms is the run winding
from red to blue you get 69+45=114 ohms the total resistance of start+run windings
the 2.5 mfd cap is to be connected to the start winding at red end and to line phase
the blue wire from the run winding also connects to phase line
the white wire connects to mains neutral

http://www.electrical-contractor.ne...ics/148744/Schematics_For_1_Split_Phase_M.htm

this site may be useful as it has the pictures