Can any one tell me what is this part

rastaman46

Joined Nov 17, 2011
Can any one tell me what is this part in red circle ??

Its fish tank light transformer

All id does now just blinks light once .

I dissembled it and found this are is quiet burn round this part

Is any one have a clue what is it ?

Thanks

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Looks like some inductor to me, and it is also labeled L104. Which also point to that it is some sort of inductor. Why do you want to replace it?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It appears the device has opened up, allowing no current to flow. That very well could make the entire circuit not work.

However, without more knowedge of the full circuit no one can offer a reasonable suggestion to proceed. If the device appears to be a wire within a tube you may be able to replace the wire inside, though I would have to ask what made the wire itself fail.

Just replacing the wire may just make a big spark next time you turn it on.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
+ on the inductor, you will find it is a piece of copper wire with a ferrite cylindrical bead, it will either measure short circuit or open.
It may be discoloured from the current it carries.
Max.

rastaman46

Joined Nov 17, 2011
Ho do i approach to find correct part for it?

Its measures up as open

Its only one are on entire circuit with burn marks just round this area

Thanks

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It looks like some power transistor has been removed from the circuit board. Then a power transistor fails. Components around it may fail. Still assuming it is an inductor. It would not be uncommon that it may have burned out(result open circuit), due to higher current than it is rated for.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
its a little hard to see in the picture, if it has a metal shell with a white insulator on one end with the wire coming out, it is a thermal fuse. does the equipment have a nameplate with a temprature rating?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I see they have combined the L notation/B notation, in other positions, B is a solid jumper, so logically this would be a solid jumper with a Ferrite sleeve?
The rest of the inductors are labeled L.
Max.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Looks like "the component" is on the opposite side of the PCB from a surface mount power transistor...top edge, to the left of the surface mount bridge rectifier. On the screen print side the PCB is discolored above that transistor. That makes me more inclined to think it's a thermal fuse.

I can't see a solid jumper wire with a ferrite bead likely opening without much more signs of damage.

Ken