Can any one help me with this code

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Just like to tell u guys this confusion I had before is all cleared up.
All I needed was a few hrs of staring at the code and bit of head banging on the keyboard. But I did it.
Like to tell you guys that I was going to buy a LCD.The one that every one uses to do projects. A 16X2 LCD. I wanted to try, since after reading a lot of comments from here and there, it seems that multiplexing 7Segs ties up the PIC. Using a LCD is better.

Please correct me if I am wrong, since I haven't experimenting this idea.
The LCD does not need refreshing if the DATA does not change. But only needs to reload it ones the data changes, and by disconnecting the data lines, the display does not disappear. Am I right here?

So going back to buying a LCD, I thought of going through my junk to see if I can find anything and I found a LCD in a ISDN router. I took out the LCD, it has 14 pins and a high voltage back light. It was a kind of strip thingy. It does not light, but from the looks of the circuit it uses a voltage beyond any diode ( above 60V). the driver output has 100V filter caps and was a step up converter. Now how in god's name am I going to light the backlit. :confused:.
I counted the character and row and it was 20 by 2. Boy !! A big LCD. :)
So Now for the data sheet, even though I can figure out the supply and contrast pin.
I ended up with zip on the specs.
So I googled for some LCD command set for the PIC I have, 16F88. Got nothing but I did get a tut for F628.
Now I have learned to substitute different PIC's for the same ASM file.
So I gave it a go, after some hard time scrabbling the data lines ( the 8 data lines ), I manage to display my name in it. :D
Am I great or what? and to think I did not know anything about PIC's a few moths ago.

But I like to know why the LCD uses the high order bits ( 4 Bit mode ) and not the 8 data lines. What is the difference in em.

I got a better LCD from my junk, and I did not need to buy any.
How wonderful is that.

Next idea is try to run the plenty of VFD's I have lying around.

Rifaa

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
So. that means I can use those lines to do something else from time to time, with proper connection of course.

Rifaa