Can ac current affect a printers brain ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by t00t, Feb 11, 2015.

1. t00t

Thread Starter Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Due to the fact the ac voltages can be high and low . Is it possible for high voltage to kill a printers chip ( brain ) .

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    How many times did you ask this?

3. t00t

Thread Starter Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Please ignore the other post there was a lag as i am using a laggy phone . Anyway yes i ment voltage surges from ac power source can it affect the printers chip to a extend of spoiling it ?

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Then please ignore my reply on the ignored thread.

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Yes voltages outside of what a product has been designed for can cause damage.. This goes for any electronic device not just a printer..

6. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Most people just buy an 8 way surge protected outlet strip and plug all their computer stuff into that - it also means you can unplug everything by pulling just one plug, handy if there's a thunderstorm overnight.

These surge protectors usually use metal oxide varistors (MOV) - you have to remember that the MOV takes a hit every time clamps a surge. The MOV can chip away round the edges, reducing its mass - or shatter completely! You should open them up and inspect the MOV every few months and after any bad thunderstorm.

7. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    It is possible, but it isn't very common. There are tens (hundreds?) of millions of printers in use around the world, and very few die due to power quality issues. Still, an external surge suppressor is low cost insurance.

ak

8. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Last time I checked - I could buy a new printer cheaper than a set of replacement ink cartridges.

The one big flaw with that plan; they don't completely fill the cartridges they put in new printers!

All my printers now, were scrounged on free recycling groups - if the cartridges don't take well to DIY re-filling, I scrap the printer and scrounge something different.

9. t00t

Thread Starter Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Hmm ... so most printers have a voltage regulator in them ? Thus saving them from voltage surges ?

10. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    there are no printers that run off line voltage only, there is a power supply inside, or inline with the power cord. the chips use dc for supply.

11. t00t

Thread Starter Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Thank you all very much