can a li-ion battery be used to run a dc motor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by newman709, Sep 9, 2012.

1. newman709

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 9, 2012
    this question has been bugging me for a very long time,
    can a li- ion battery be used to run a electric drive (dc motor).
    i want a battery which is light and sufficient to run a electric bike motor and that can be recharged by a dynamo.
    please this is turning me crazy!!!!:confused:

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Any battery with sufficient current delivery can drive an electric motor. The chemistry of the battery is immaterial

3. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    If you are troubled by the size needed for a particular motor, then post the operating voltages of the motor and the current it takes(probably printed on it somewhere)

We can help you pick a proper size to meet your needs(within reason) ;)

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    +1
    The chemistry does matter, though, for power density considerations. I believe on a bicycle you want the highest power-to-weight ratio, as opposed to power-to-volume, for instance. Laptop batteries are very expensive but give a very good power-to-volume ratio so they don't take up valuable space. I'd have to look again how they do for power:weight. Probably pretty good.

The ability to perform well in your application is another factor. A deep-cycle lead battery might be the best for your application. Some chemistries do far better at surviving a deep discharge than others. And this is also true of charging. Li-ion are among the most finicky to recharge properly.

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I have two electric bikes, one uses sealed lead acid batteries and the other Li-ion so I can give you the pros and cons.

6. NFA Fabrication

Aug 12, 2012
    With how cheap Lithium Polymer batteries can be had these days, I would have a hard time convincing myself to use anything else. Hobbyking.co has tons of various LiPo batteries available on the cheap, I use them for just about everything. What kind of voltage/peak amperage will the bikes motor need? A good universal charger for these is the Hitec X1, it will balance charge (Important with Lithium) 1-6 cell Lithium (3.7-22.2V), and is AC/DC compatible, and is only $62.99 (Plus it will charge NIMH, NICD, Lead Acid, and more!). You should run a voltage monitor to make sure you don't drop below about 3V/cell, they are cheap:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBVDG&P=7

And here is that charger:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBJBY&P=ML