Can a capacitor hold open a relay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiG615

Joined Nov 13, 2008
Try using a calculator, your math is off.
Ha thats funny, i used a calculator to get 5400, im not sure how now...
sorry

"When you say you want the relay to stay energized for a while after the power goes off you mean the entire power supply or just the control signal of the relay?"

mik- im not exactly sure, whatever works...

RiG615

Joined Nov 13, 2008
I guess this is what I really want now - i've been iffy cause nothing is really set in stone and im still a noob
so here
-When I switch the power supply voltage on I want a delay before [a relay switches positons] or actuallynow that i think of it a transistor could replace the relay, so- [or a delay before a transistor switches on] then once the transistor(or relay) turns on it will allow another battery(3V) to run a motor

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So you want a short delay before the motor turns on after flipping the power supply on. The supply is 3VDC. Correct?

I think a 555 would be a better choice in this case. If you affirm what I restated (what I think I heard you say) I'll throw another drawing out.

RiG615

Joined Nov 13, 2008
Yes -//flip switch on / short delay / motor on //
3VDC is the supply voltage for the motor, i was originally going to use a 9v battery for the timer circuit, but 3VDC could be used for everything. So yes what you said is correct

RiG615

Joined Nov 13, 2008
How can i make so the motor goes instantaneously on???(after delay)
i dont want the motor starting up slowly...
do you think this could be a problem?

btroush

Joined Oct 28, 2011
I would recommend using a 555 timer circuit like Bill_Marsden mentioned. If not you could add another cap or 2 in parallel, as that would increase the total capacitance nd therefore the RC time constant

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Folks, this thread had been dormant for over 3 years, and the original poster was last active in august of 2009. I don't think they will see the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.