can a 64 bit cpu go into a motherboard currently using a 32 bit processor

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
ok I have a mPGA478B motherboard that uses a 32 bit Pentium 4 it is really slow I want to know if I can upgrade to 64 bit without changing the motherboard and it is a desktop not a laptop cuz most laptops use these sockets

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
ok I have a mPGA478B motherboard that uses a 32 bit Pentium 4 it is really slow I want to know if I can upgrade to 64 bit without changing the motherboard
No. Large architectural changes usually increase the number of pins (the successor to the Socket478 P4's uses Socket775) and require a new motherboard.

Depending on the speed of your existing P4 and motherboard, you might be able to install one with a higher frequency or HyperThreading if the current one doesn't already have it. With a faster processor, you may need faster memory to take full advantage of a faster processor.

For $400 you can buy a new desktop computer. But I think P4 is still okay for office apps, browsing, and email. The computer I use most is a 3.2GHz P4 with HT, 4GB memory running WinXP. If I need more compute power, I use an appropriate computer.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
No,that motherboard is severely outdated and nothing in the world can make it perform good. Save at least 200$ and buy used computer components with that money and you should get a decent quad core based PC for that kind of money.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
No,that motherboard is severely outdated and nothing in the world can make it perform good.
I run Ubuntu on a Willamette processor with 768MB of memory and can run Windows photo editing programs.

I do most of my work on a computer with a so called outdated motherboard...

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Runs/works and "performs" are 2 different things..
I can drive around a race track in a Yugo... or I can do it in a Mclaren.. guess which will have the faster lap time :D

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I run Ubuntu on a Willamette processor with 768MB of memory and can run Windows photo editing programs.

But can your computer run modern video games which OP wants too?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I can drive around a race track in a Yugo... or I can do it in a Mclaren.. guess which will have the faster lap time :D
Speed and performance aren't always required. If I run office apps on a dual core i7 with 8GB of memory and a 256 GB SSD, the system lowers the processor clock frequency and idles most of the time.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
First time I drove one was my last time too! Almost flew off the road because the steering wheel kickback over a tiny pothole.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Speed and performance aren't always required. If I run office apps on a dual core i7 with 8GB of memory and a 256 GB SSD, the system lowers the processor clock frequency and idles most of the time.
This is true for quite a few computer users..
Thats why MANY people could just use a tablet/phone and don't even need a computer..
Many just use computers for browsing the internet and simple word documents..

Not me.. I MUST have a top of the line computer or my CAD software is just too darn slow..
I'm running an i7 4820k overclocked at 4.2Ghz now with 16G of RAM and a 256GB SSD and it am probably getting a new computer soon as I've had this for a couple years now.. (I typically get a new computer every 2-3 years just to have the latest and greatest).. Time = money

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thats why MANY people could just use a tablet/phone and don't even need a computer..
They're okay for casual content consumption, but they suck at content creation.
Many just use computers for browsing the internet and simple word documents..
That's where I was coming from for the OP (not knowing he thought he could use a P4 system for hardcore gaming). There are often ways to incrementally improve performance that people who are not computer literate would know about.

Time = money
When you're retired, saving money often trumps saving time.

BTW, how much fun is it driving that Mclaren in rush hour traffic? My daily driver is a BMW and I rarely have an opportunity to really drive it. In bumper to bumper rush hour traffic, sometimes I wish I had an automatic (my manual transmission actually has a 3rd pedal).