Campaign to perserve helium.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piratepaul, May 25, 2013.

1. piratepaul

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2013
    A long as those who fill ballons with our limited supply of helium and fritter way our future, do so , we must do all we can to stop them.

When helium is released into the atmosphere it goes up and up into space and is lost forever. There is ot much left!

Google campaign to preserve helium and similar searches before it is too late!!!!!!!!!!!

2. NathanielZhu

Dec 5, 2011
    Can't we just get more from nuclear reactions? or is that too slow...

3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Too slow. A new well in Wyoming is under development by Air Products and a partner company. It will still be in short global supply but, I agree that if it is only used for scientific applications we will likely be ok. If we use it for transportation (blimps) and novelty balloons, then we will be using much faster than natural thorium and other radioactive deposits in the earth will generate more.

4. tindel

Sep 16, 2012
    I prefer to inhale it first!

5. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  6. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I saw a guy with a hand full of cash ,sitting on his tail gate selling huff's of

helium. He looked like a drug dealer ,loud music and funny people. He sold it by the

balloon full. They had a name for the parties ,maybe someone knows about these

parties, and educate me.

ErnieM likes this.
  7. piratepaul

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2013
    It is an element making more is like turning lead into gold.

Stop inhaling ***** ( I have read the rules)

8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    New helium is created every day. It comes from radioactive elements decaying process. Certain isotopes of Thorium and uranium emit an alpha particles as part of their decay pathway. The alpha particle is a helium nucleus.

Inhaling is a form of asphyxiation. The fact that the lungs are filling/emptying regularly prevent the body from coughing and gasping. Inhaling repeatedly can cause brain damage or kill you.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  9. piratepaul

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2013
    New atoms of helium are created in grams per year... we are using tons per hour.
    Its true that it can be created in the lab, it is poss to turn lead into gold ... but...
    Th gold is made is made in micro grams and is radio active for a few million years.

10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes and No. There are millions of tons of thorium and uranium and other radioactive isotopes in the earth. You are right, it is getting formed fairly slowly as the half-life of these isotopes is long. Unfortunately, all helium on earth has come from the radioactive decomposition of heavy elements over the past 15 billion years. As an element, we cannot make it any faster than the radioactive decay of heavy elements that occurs every day. That is why the US used to have a strategic helium reserve of great size, the helium we have is all the helium that is left, plus slow production by decay every day.

The future of the reserve is uncertain. Just this month, the US voted to extend the federal ownership of the reserve - even though it was mandated to close back in 1996.

No newly tapped gas wells have the concentration of the old Kansas wells where most of the helium was originally captured. Less concentrated sources makes recovery and purification more and more energy intensive and, therefore, more and more expensive.

I agree with PiratePaul it is a concern. We should examine how we are using Helium. Especially because international trade in helium is very unlikely since compression, condensation, packaging and return of empty packages would be enormously expensive per cubic meter of gas.

11. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    It's a concern but it's been completely 'over blown' in the media.

12. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    how has it been over-blown and what media outlets are reporting on it at all? (Besides science-related news)?

14. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    It's pretty much past the news cycle now.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hel...g.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=iceweasel-a

Industrial users aren't having supply issues if you plan ahead and order directly from a major gas supplier. What is in short supply are rare gases like ultra-pure Xenon.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  15. Cliff987

Oct 2, 2012
    Wait a minute:

If I trap helium bottle it and then use it for welding or balloons you are saying that it escapes into outerspace?

How is it then that helium is found regularly in the atmosphere?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/RG001i003p00305/abstract

Besides Helium is commercially extracted from natural gas and there is a huge amount of that being brought into production.
    http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/helium/mcs-2012-heliu.pdf
    Expect the prices of helium to fall.