Camera Project - Ideas Help?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Management, May 4, 2010.

1. Management

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Hey guys,

I stumbled onto a camera that is capable of stream video over a network and also being controlled. It is of the dome camera variety.

I'm trying to think of something cool I can do with it on my spare time.

Any ideas?
  2. kingdano

Apr 14, 2010
    motion activated camera in front of your fridge to see who's eating all the good stuff while youre away.

stream it to a website you set-up and monitor it from work.
  3. Management

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 18, 2007
    That hilarious! Good one.

It's a nice camera too it can host a web page inside it and you can give it a static IP to connect to on one's network. I have a motion sensor connected to it as well.

I basically want to use this as a learning opportunity. I don't know how to use PICS and microcontrollers. Any ideas for projects around that. I use labview some maybe I can use it to do some image processing or something.

Thanks for the reply.
  4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    These types of cameras have a server build into them to serve the video.

They make things much easier, because you dont have to capture the video, compress it then serve it on a PC.

Zoos use them to monitor animals who are pregnant. Humans cant be around for 24hrs a day, so they access from home to report changes.

Also they are used for standard webcams. Security, and fun.
  5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Make sure you password protect it because otherwise it is available to everyone.
    If you search for the below you find hundreds of cameras from one manufacturer.
  6. ShockBoy

Oct 27, 2009
    If I stumbled across such a camera, I'd probably either incorporate it into a weather station available online or add a night vision lense and, along with the motion sensor, document night life. Hey, maybe point it at the stars; you might catch something amazing.