Cam sensors

Pietenpol

Joined Dec 27, 2008
I am looking at replacing mechanical momentary contact double pole switches with something more reliable and accurate. The switches monitor cam lobes. This is the current set-up, within the ellipse is the switch pack I want to replace. The switches are at the bottom of each finger with an adjusting screw/locknut. These old switches also have a tendency to wear over time, not just where the roller at the tip of the finger rides the cam but where the end of the adjusting screw contacts the button of the switch. Another problem is the tensioning spring holding the finger against the cam stretches over time and everything goes out of adjustment. I was thinking either a magnetic strip that sat on the cam lobe with a reed switch or a switch that wrapped around the edge of each cam with a stick on label on the edge of the cam (found some possibilties for the first option but not sure what to search for on the latter). I have 2 sets of these cams to deal with. The switches need normally open/normally closed terminals and need to handle 24 volts.

Wiring diagram, the switches are located in the right central section...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
beenthere, depends how dirty this machine is. Interesting looking bugger, looks like it needs a thorough lube job now and again.

Pietenpol

Joined Dec 27, 2008
All the cams do is change the state of the switch at specific degrees.

Set #1
A=0-270, 271-359
B=0-66, 67-185, 186-360
C=0-85, 86-242,243-360

Set #2
A=0-184,185-349
B=0-259,260-349
C=0-104,105-255

Pietenpol

Joined Dec 27, 2008
I think the 'opto-interrupters' is kinda what I was thinking about. A label that could be stuck on the side of the cam with the sensor changing the switch state when the label is detected.

Pietenpol

Joined Dec 27, 2008
As to lubrication, Converting to an optical sensor will eliminate all the need for oiling in that area. Yes tho, the large cams/followers on the left as well as similar items to the right require quite a bit of grease and oil.